Relief Effort Continues for Typhoon Haiyan Survivors | NECN

Relief Effort Continues for Typhoon Haiyan Survivors

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    More than 3,600 are confirmed dead in the horrible storm that hit the Philippines last week (Published Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014)

    (NECN/NBC News: Nancy Snyderman) - More than a week since Typhoon Haiyan left a path of destruction across the Philippines, aid is finally starting to find its way to those in need.

    With the death toll now over 3,600, survivors need food, water, medicine and anything they can get.

    With much help from the U.S. military effort, they're getting just that.

    The concern is we may never know an accurate death toll because there have been so many mass graves.

    People with chronic illnesses and infectious diseases all need to be attended to.

    The water system in many places is fractured, and the health care system is struggling. Nonetheless, aid continues to pour in.

    In addition to U.S. planes, there have been planes landing in the area from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Singapore and Australia.

    The complicated issue has been how to get the aid from the tarmac to islands that are sometimes hundreds of miles away.

    This is a complicated nation and it take a lot of infrastructure; Americans have a reason to be proud because that infrastructure has depended on the U.S. military.

    "Any contribution that we can make, whether it be water, food, shelter, medical supplies, that's the support we're gonna provide, deemed necessary by their government," said Lt. Cdr. James Stockman of USS George Washington.

    With the presence of the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Air Force and the Marines, things have picked up.

    Some Filipinos have said this to us, thank god for the u-s military, or things wouldn't be getting done at all.

    See how to help those affected by Typhoon Haiyan by visiting this page.