Actress Carrie Fisher was responsible for some unforgettable moments on screen, both in the Star Wars franchise and in her many other roles.
Here is a sampling of those moments.
1. "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." - "Star Wars: A New Hope"
The line that set the (original) adventure in motion.
2. "Someone has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy." - "Star Wars: A New Hope"
3. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" - "Star Wars: A New Hope"
4. Princess Leia: "Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."
Governor Tarkin: "Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your life."
Princess Leia: "I'm surprised that you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself."
Governor Tarkin: "Princess Leia, before your execution, I'd like you to join me for a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now."
Princess Leia : "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
Governor Tarkin: "Not after we demonstrate the capabilities of this station"
- "Star Wars: A New Hope"
5. Princess Leia: "I love you."
Han Solo: "I know." - The Empire Strikes Back
After bantering way through the first two films Leia and Han Solo finally declare their love for each other just moments before he's about to go into the deep freeze. Their timing was awful. But it was pure magic for the viewers.
6.Han Solo: "Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a goodbye kiss?"
Princess Leia: "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookie."
Han Solo: "I can arrange that. You could use a good kiss." - "The Empire Strikes Back"
7. Han Solo: "We lost our son. Forever."
Leia: "No. It was Snoke. He seduced our son to the dark side. But we can still save him. Me. You."
Han Solo: "If Luke couldn't reach him, how could I?"
Leia: "Luke is a Jedi. You're his father. There is still light in him, I know it."
-- "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
8. And lest you think all of Fisher's best work was confined to the Star Wars franchise, she did a considerable amount of work on other hits. Take her character as the "Mystery woman" from "Blues Brothers" opposite John Belushi.
Jake: "It's good to see you, sweetheart."
Mystery Woman: "You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother."
Jake: "Oh, please, don't kill us! Please, please don't kill us! You know I love you baby. I wouldn't leave ya. It wasn't my fault"
Mystery Woman: "You miserable slug! You think you can talk your way out of this? You betrayed me."
Jake: "No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"
-- "Blues Brothers"
And then there was her turn as Meg Ryan's best friend in "When Harry Met Sally." Ryan and Billy Crystal may have been the stars, but Fisher stole the show with her limited screen time.
8. Marie: "Everybody thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor but they couldn't possibly all have good taste." - "When Harry Met Sally"
9. Marie: "I don't think he's ever going to leave her."
Sally: "Nobody thinks he's never going to leave her."
Marie: "You're right, you're right. I know you're right."
- "When Harry Met Sally"