Tom Cruise: 'Top Gun' Sequel Is 'Definitely Happening' - NECN

Tom Cruise: 'Top Gun' Sequel Is 'Definitely Happening'

The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    It's no secret San Diego has a special relationship with the movie "Top Gun." Not only was the flight program once based here but parts of the movie were filmed in downtown San Diego and Oceanside. Now, NBC 7's Greg Bledsoe and Marianne Kushi report on the news of a sequel in the works.

    Learn more about the plans for a sequel here.

    (Published Wednesday, May 24, 2017)

    The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he's about to fly back in.

    The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to "Top Gun" is a sure thing and should start shooting soon.

    Cruise made the announcement Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show "Sunrise."

    The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year. He added, "It's definitely happening."

    Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

    The 1986 Reagan-era flyboy epic propelled Cruise to superstar status.

    Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday's 31st anniversary of the original's release.