Finalists for the 2016 James Beard Awards have been announced, and they include several New Englanders.
The annual awards are presented for excellence in cuisine, culinary writing, and culinary education in the United States. Highlighted below are the local nominees.
- Joanne Chang, Flour Bakery & Cafe, Boston, Mass.
[NATL] Wildest Food Crazes: Emotional Support Chicken
Outstanding Pastry Chef:
- Maura Kilpatrick, Oleana, Cambridge, Mass.
Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional:
- Rob Tod, Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, Maine
Best Chef: Northeast:
- Karen Akunowicz, Myers & Chang, Boston, Mass.
- Brian Hill, Francine, Camden, Maine
- Susan Regis, Shepard, Cambridge, Mass.
- Mike Wiley and Andrew Taylor, Eventide Oyster Co., Portland, Maine
The awards ceremony will be hosted by Carla Hall and will be held at Lyric Opera of Chicago on May 2.