<![CDATA[NECN - ]]>Copyright 2018https://www.necn.com/feature/connecticuthttp://media.necn.com/designimages/clear.gifNECNhttps://www.necn.comen-usTue, 13 Nov 2018 20:49:28 -0500Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:49:28 -0500NBC Owned Television Stations<![CDATA[Video Shows Moment Bus Slammed into West Haven Business]]>Tue, 13 Nov 2018 07:49:32 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WEST+HAVEN+SURVEILLANCE.jpg

Surveillance video obtained by NBC Connecticut shows the moment of impact Saturday morning when a Coach USA bus packed with more than 40 Princeton University students crashed into a business on Campbell Avenue in West Haven.

Four students and the bus driver were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital, but police said nobody was seriously hurt when the bus exited I-95 northbound, came down a steep ramp and slammed into the Anderson Glass Company building.

The students were traveling to the Yale Bowl for the Princeton-Yale football game.

According to public records from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the bus had a satisfactory safety rating as of late July.

As seen from DroneRanger’s exclusive images above the scene, the accident leveled part of the shop. The debris clean-up continued Monday afternoon after the business reopened.

The glass company’s president John Anderson called the bus driver "a hero," knowing the damage and injuries could have been worse.

"From what I understand, he was telling all the students 'I don’t have any brakes, get ready,' and he drove his bus into the softest target here, which was the garage and fortunately nobody was in that," Anderson said.

West Haven Police told NBC Connecticut they suspect brake failure for two reasons: statements from the Princeton students on board and the lack of skid marks at the scene, leading investigators to believe the brakes were never applied.

On the highway, signs warn about the steep ramp and say "No Trucks."

NBC Connecticut reached out to the state Department of Transportation to ask if that “No Trucks” sign applied to large buses, but a spokesperson said he had to wait until after the holiday to provide a response.

"There have been a few accidents here before, nothing to this scope though," Anderson said.

According to the Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center at UConn, since 2015 there have been 30 crashes by NB Exit 43 and Campbell Ave. None resulted in any deaths or serious injuries.

This past July a speeding car being operated in a reckless manner took a similar path of the bus crash, Behavior Analyst Marisa E. Auguste, MS, told NBC Connecticut by email.

"We can fix the building," Andersons said. "Just happy everyone is safe."

A representative from the bus company had no comment for NBC Connecticut on Monday other than they are cooperating with the police investigation.

Photo Credit: Contributed]]>
<![CDATA[Hartford Man With Severe Dementia Located]]>Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:23:32 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Mario+Sementilli+BG.JPG

Hartford police said they have found a man with severe dementia who was reported missing.

Police said 67-year-old Mario Sementilli was reported missing around 1 p.m. Monday, after he left the Immanuel House at 15 Woodland St.

He was found in Berlin and taken to a hospital to be evaluated. 

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[Conn. Boy Uses Birthday to Collect Donations for Soldiers]]>Tue, 13 Nov 2018 06:49:01 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Kindergarden+army+philanthropist+CROPP.jpg

A young Connecticut boy decided to mark his birthday by lending a helping hand to those serving our country.

At a time when most little boys only want to play with toy soldiers, kindergartner Owen Zavatone used his birthday to help the real ones.

“I want to be in the Army,” Owen said.

To celebrate blowing out six candles on the cake, Owen had a special ask of friends at his birthday party.

"The idea was for kids to not bring presents for me, but to bring presents for the soldiers," Owen explained.

Owen’s request yielded a huge haul of necessities for military members. He’s using the gifts to make care packages.

Owen’s mother Maureen Zavatone said her son has a special appreciation for the country’s armed forces you might not expect for someone so young, so they’ve tried to teach him about the valor and the sacrifice of the women and men fighting for our country.

"He wanted to have an army party and we always talk about the fact that the soldiers are away from home and they’re very brave," Maureen said.

Owen wears a hat that once belonged to his Grandpa Leo when he served.

"My papa was in the Army," Own said proudly.

Owen’s parents say that his love for the troops extends outside of this house. Whenever he sees one out and about, he always salutes.

"We’ve always encouraged him to just show his gratitude to the people that are sacrificing, that are away from their families so we can be with ours," his father Stefan Zavatone said.

The Zavatones plan to send the goods from Owen’s party to service members in time for the holidays.

In the meantime, Owen has a special message for the men and women who will receive his birthday gifts.

“What I would like to say is thank you for your service,” he said.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Marking the 10-Year Anniversary of Same-Sex Marriage in CT ]]>Tue, 13 Nov 2018 06:48:07 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WEHA+PRIDE+FLAG.jpg

Monday was a proud day for the LGBT community in Connecticut.

The Pride Flag was flying high in West Hartford center as people celebrated the 10th anniversary of the day same-sex couples were able to start marrying in the state.

“Absolutely, it is very much a day of celebration,” said Robin Levine-Ritterman.

Robin and Barb Levine-Ritterman chatted with us at their home in New Haven about the dramatic events from a decade ago.

“It was a long journey,” said Barb.

They were one of eight same-sex couples who fought for the right to marry in the state.

“I think one thing that really drove me was having kids and having a family,” said Robin.

In 2008, the couples were victorious when the Connecticut Supreme Court struck down the law that created civil unions.

The court ruled gay couples could legally marry starting Nov. 12, 2008. For Robin and Barb, it was a life-changing moment.

“Knowing that the world sees us as in a lifelong commitment with each other,” said Barb.

The New York Times’ front page featured a picture of the couple picking up their marriage certificate on that first day, though they waited six months to be officially wed.

Now all of these years later, Barb and Robin believe there’s still work to be done to secure more rights for the LGBT community.

“We still very much need work place equality and equality in housing,” said Robin.

“I see the struggle for trans rights being similar to where the lesbian and gay struggle was 10 or 20 years ago,” said Barb.

Because of the Supreme Court ruling, Connecticut became one of the first states to legalize same-sex marriage.

It would take another seven years for the U.S. Supreme Court to do the same for the nation.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Hartford Police Investigate 2 Shootings in an Hour]]>Tue, 13 Nov 2018 06:47:16 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/hartford+police+cruiser+generic.jpg

Hartford Police are investigating two separate shootings that happened within about an hour of each other on Monday night.

Officers said the first shooting happened at 6:59 p.m. on Pliny Street.

According to police, a 17-year-old was transported by a private vehicle to Connecticut Children's Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. The teenager is currently in stable condition.

Detectives are currently investigating that shooting.

Approximately an hour later, around 8 p.m., officers responded to St. Francis Hospital after getting a report of a gunshot victim being transported there by a private vehicle.

Investigators determined the shooting happened on Wethersfield Avenue.

Officials said a 23-year-old man suffered a non life-threatening gunshot wound to the upper arm and was in stable condition. He was expected to be discharged on Monday night.

Police said the 23-year-old man had two outstanding warrants and was taken into custody after treatment.

Officers have determined the two shootings are not related.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Route 8 North in Naugatuck Reopens]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:07:48 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Breaking-News-Intro-1200x675.jpg

The northbound lanes of Route 8 in Naugatuck were closed after a serious crash and have reopened.

State police said the crash took place between exits 25 and 26 around 2 p.m. and there are serious injuries.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Police Find Pickup That Hit Cyclist in Branford]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:24:14 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Branford+hit+run+truck.jpg

Branford police have found the pickup truck that hit and seriously injured a woman last week before taking off.

Police said a man driving a 2013 white Ford F250 pickup hit the woman as she rode a bicycle on East Main Street (Route 1), near the intersection of Featherbed Lane, around 8:20 a.m. on Nov. 4.  The driver then left the scene, police said.

The bicyclist, a 52-year-old Branford woman, was seriously injured and was transported to the hospital.

The pickup was located in Hamden, police said.

They are thanking the public for helping them find the truck.

No charges have been filed.

Photo Credit: Branford Police]]>
<![CDATA[Man Shot 5-Year-Old in Neck With BB Gun in Greenwich, Conn.]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:30:57 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/chadwick+marriott.JPG

Greenwich Police arrested a man who is accused of shooting a child with a BB gun on Sunday night.

Officers were called to an incident where a 5-year-old child was injured after being shot in the neck with a BB gun around 7 p.m.

Police said investigators determined 44-year-old Chadwick Marriott, of Greenwich, was responsible and arrested him.

He is facing charges including discharge of a firearm, risk of injury to a child, assault and reckless endangerment.

Marriott was able to post bond and was released from police custody. He will be in court on Tuesday.

Photo Credit: Greenwich Police]]>
<![CDATA[Silver Alert Issued For Maine Man Headed to Connecticut]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 09:44:15 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Robert+Wetherbee+Missing.jpg

A Silver Alert has been issued for a man from Maine who was heading to Connecticut, but never arrived.

Police said 76-year-old Robert Wetherbee left his home in Maine to come to North Windham, but never arrived. He has been missing since Thursday.

Wetherbee is described as a man with blue eyes, who is 6'1" and weighs 180 pounds.

He may be operating a blue 2012 Ford F-150 pick-up truck with a Maine license plate of 6924TD.

If you know of Wetherbee's whereabouts, you're encouraged to call police at (860) 465-5400.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police]]>
<![CDATA[Driver Takes Off After Hitting Man in Hartford: Fire Officials]]>Sun, 11 Nov 2018 18:00:59 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/hartford+police+generic+1.JPG

Emergency crews in Hartford responded after a man was hit by a vehicle that sped off.

It happened in the 1900 block of Main Street around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.

The victim suffered a broken leg, but was conscious when he was taken to the hospital, according to fire officials.

There was no immediate description of the vehicle involved.

<![CDATA[Coach Bus Heading to Football Game Crashes Into Conn. Building]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:55:33 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/coach+bus+crash+in+west+haven.jpg

A coach bus heading to a sporting event crashed into a building in West Haven on Saturday morning.

The Coach USA bus crashed into a building at Anderson Glass on Campbell Avenue, near the off ramp for exit 43 on Interstate-95 in West Haven around 10 a.m.

The bus was carrying Princeton students to the Princeton-Yale football game and had brake failure, said West Haven Police Sergeant Charles Young. There were 50 students and the bus driver on the bus.

According to police, four students were transported to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Firefighters had to extricate the bus driver, who was also transported to the hospital. 

Yale-New Haven Hospital said all five people were transported to their hospital. Hospital officials said the four students are in good condition and the bus driver is in fair condition.

Fire crews and ambulances are at the scene, as well as Connecticut State Police and West Haven building officials.

The students who were not injured took another bus to the game, police said.

On Saturday afternoon, Coach USA released a statement about the crash.

"Coach USA can confirm that one of our vehicles was involved in an incident in West Haven, CT, today, November 10, 2018. Coach USA is fully cooperating with the police in their investigation. Safety of our passengers, employees and fellow road users is our top priority," Sean Hughes, the Director of Corporate Affairs for Coach USA said in a statement.

Princeton University also released a statement saying in part:

"With the well-being of our students and other travelers in mind, University officials from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students and many other departments are working to gather accurate information about what happened and to assist all those affected.

The University is grateful for the role first-responders have played and to our colleagues at Yale University, who are helping to gather information and to assist our students and staff."

Campbell Avenue was closed while officials investigated the crash, but has since reopened.

Photo Credit: Submitted Photo
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Pedestrian Killed in Crash in West Haven]]>Sat, 10 Nov 2018 11:07:14 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/west+haven+police+cruiser.jpg

A pedestrian has died after getting by a vehicle in West Haven on Friday night.

Officers were called to Elm Street near Second Avenue around 11:11 p.m. after getting a report of a car versus pedestrian crash with injuries.

Investigators believe a Dodge sedan was traveling east on Elm Street near Campbell Avenue when it hit a pedestrian. They said it appears the vehicle continued driving east on Elm Street until parking in a lot near Elm Street and Second Avenue.

The unidentified female pedestrian sustained serious injuries and was transported to the hospital, where she later died, police said.

Police have not released the driver's identity and said the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call West Haven Police Traffic Division at (203) 937-3925.

<![CDATA[Conn. Man Accused of Kidnapping Son Charged With Making False Statements]]>Thu, 08 Nov 2018 06:47:48 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/Vernon_Man_Charged_in_1987_Kidnapping_of_Son.jpg

A Vernon man accused of kidnapping his 21-month-old son in Canada 31 years ago has been charged with making false statements to hide his identity and receive federal benefits in the U.S.

Allan Mann, Jr. is accused of kidnapping his son, Jermaine, in June 1987 during a court-ordered visit in Toronto.

Authorities believe Mann took Jermaine and made his way into the U.S. He changed his name to Hailee Randolph DeSouza, changed his son's name, and got them both fake birth certificates, according to federal prosecutors.

Using a fake birth certificate, Mann applied for a Social Security Number in 1990, authorities said. Mann used his fake identity to take advantage of benefits including Section 8 housing and Connecticut Medicaid. During the application process for HUD's Section 8 program, Mann, a citizen of both Canada and Ghana, provided a birth certificate that stated he was born in Houston, Texas in 1957. The State of Texas determined the birth certificate was counterfeit, according to prosecutors.

Mann was found living in Section 8 subsidized housing in Vernon.

Authorities said HUD has paid tens of thousands of dollars in housing assistance payments for Mann over the years. Medicaid has also paid tens of thousands of dollars on Mann's behalf.

A seven-count indictment charges Mann with four counts of making a false statement, and three counts of making a false statement in a healthcare matter. Each charge carries a maximum term of imprisonment of five years.

Mann has been in custody since Oct. 26, 2018.

After being tried on the U.S. charges, Mann will be extradited to Canada to face prosecution for the alleged kidnapping.

Jermaine and his mother, Lyneth Mann-Lewis, were reunited last month after 31 years apart. The family has asked for privacy.

<![CDATA[13 Farmington Bank, 2 People’s United Bank Locations to Close]]>Wed, 07 Nov 2018 06:53:43 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/money-generic-cash.jpg

Thirteen Farmington Bank locations and two People’s United Bank locations in Connecticut are closing. 

The company released a statement about the decision behind the closings. 

“We worked closely with Farmington Bank’s management team to carefully evaluate and determine how we can best integrate and optimize our combined branch network, both Stop & Shop and traditional locations, to best serve the needs of our customers,” Sara Longobardi, senior executive vice president, retail banking for People’s United Bank, said in a statement. 

She said the company looked at factors including proximity, access to technology and bankers, ATMs and extended-hour service locations. 

“We feel our new footprint in the region will give us a stronger, more customer facing presence. In addition, all Farmington Bank branch employees were offered positions within People’s United Bank,”Longobardi’s statement says. 

People’s United Financial Inc., the holding company for People’s United Bank, announced in October that it acquired First Connecticut Bancorp, Inc., the holding company for Farmington Bank.  

Following are the locations that will be closing:


  1. Farmington Bank at Gables Retirement Community, 20 Devonwood Drive in Farmington.
  2. Farmington Bank at Village Gate, 88 Scott Swamp Road, in Farmington.
  3. Farmington Bank, 176 Newington Road in West Hartford.
  4. Farmington Bank at 299 West Middle Turnpike in Manchester
  5. Farmington Bank at 135 Talcottville Road in Vernon
  6. Farmington Bank at 129 New Britain Ave. in Plainville.
  7. Farmington Bank at 427 West Avon Road in Avon.
  8. Farmington Bank at 962 Farmington Ave. in West Hartford.
  9. Farmington Bank at 486 Silas Deane Highway in Wethersfield.
  10. Farmington Bank at 782 Park Ave. in Bloomfield.
  11. Farmington Bank at 1095 Main St. in Newington.
  12. Farmington Bank at 957 Main St. in East Hartford.
  13. Farmington Bank at 366 Cromwell Ave. in Rocky Hill.
  14. People’s United Bank at 27 East Main St. in Avon.
  15. People’s United Bank at 812 Queen St. in Southington

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News]]>
<![CDATA[Murphy Reelected To U.S. Senate]]>Wed, 07 Nov 2018 17:10:52 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/MURPHY-2.jpg

Click here for complete Decision 2018 Election Results

Sen. Chris Murphy has been elected to a second term in the U.S. Senate.

He won handily over his opponent, Republican businessman Matt Corey.

First elected to the Senate in 2012, Murphy served three terms as Connecticut's 5th District representative in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Murphy has raised his profile in the Democratic Party in recent years and has been considered one of the possible contenders to run for president in 2020. It is something Murphy has said he is not interested in doing.

"I think there are a lot of people across this country that are disappointed with the divisiveness of his agenda it means that we are going to have to find common ground between Republicans and Democrats to move issues forward and I think this is a good thing for the country I think it's better when we make health care policy, tax policy with the Republicans and Democrats rather than it being shoved down the throats by one party," Murphy said after his victory Tuesday night.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Stefanowski Concedes to Lamont in Conn. Governor's Race]]>Thu, 08 Nov 2018 15:44:41 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Governor+Elect+Ned+Lamont.jpg


Democrat Ned Lamont is now Governor-elect of Connecticut. Republican Bob Stefanowski conceded the governor's race on Wednesday morning.

Stefanowski made the initial concession announcement during an interview on the Chaz and AJ radio show around 8:50 a.m., then posted a statement on Facebook and Twitter.

The announcement comes following a race for governor that was too close to call through Wednesday morning. Both campaigns called it a night around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and said they would wait for more votes to be counted in the morning.

Shortly after Stefanowski's announcement, Lamont released a statement.

“Earlier this morning, I received a call from Bob Stefanowski. After a long campaign, he could not have been more gracious, and I could not be more appreciative. I look forward to working with him, because we all need to come together – regardless of party – to solve our state’s biggest challenges. I’m humbled and I want every resident to know how grateful I am for this extraordinary honor. I will work every day – honestly and thoughtfully – to move this state forward and be a champion for Connecticut."

Lamont delivered his first remarks as governor-elect at noon at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford.

Some issues at the polls Tuesday delayed the counting of some ballots. 

Secretary of the State Denise Merrill said ballots at some polling locations were wet, so they not able to be fed through the tabulation machines to be counted. Those ballots could are being counted by hand, she said.

At the time of Stefanowski's announcement, Lamont had 48 percent of the votes and Stefanowski had 47 percent with 91 percent of precincts reporting. Less than 10,000 votes separated the two and there are still a number of uncounted votes.

The other issue that surrounded the race between Stefanowski and Lamont involved same-day registration of voters.

Hundreds of people in New Haven spent hours trying to register to vote before the polls closed at 8 p.m. Tuesday.  Merrill said the registrar's office in New Haven "took some shortcuts" to make sure about 100 or so voters were registered in time.

Stefanowski's campaign asked a judge Tuesday to separate those ballots until it could be determined if they could be counted. 

According to Merrill, a judge did agree to set aside those ballots but ruled they could be counted as provisional ballots in the event of a close race.

On Tuesday, State GOP chairman J.R. Romano told NBC Connecticut that the issue was not resolved and there would be a hearing on Friday.

After Stefanowski conceded, he said the hearing would be canceled.

Voters across the state also weighed in on one US Senate Seat, re-electing incumbent Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat, over Republican Matthew Corey.

Voters also decided to make two amendments to the state constitution. 

One ballot question asks whether the constitution should be changed to ensure transportation revenues are spent on transportation projects. The second amendment calls for placing limits on the General Assembly when it attempts to transfer or sell state-owned property to a non-state entity.

Other statewide races include Secretary of the State, between incumbent Denise Merrill, a Democrat and Republican Susan Chapman, treasurer, between Democrat Shawn Wooden and Republican Thad Gray, Comptroller, between incumbent Kevin Lembo, a Democrat, and Republican Kurt Miller, and attorney general, between Democrat William Tong and Republican Sue Hatfield.

While not a statewide race, the race for US House of Representatives in Connecticut's 5th District has captured a lot of interest. 

U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty announced she would not run for a fourth term in the wake of allegations of abuse in her office and decided to retire after her handling of those allegations became public.

Manny Santos is the Republican Party candidate for the seat and Jahana Hayes, is the Democratic Party candidate. Hayes claimed victory Tuesday night, but the race was still close and Santos has not conceded.

U.S. Rep. Jim Himes has been re-elected to a fourth term in the House representing the southwest corner of Connecticut. The Democrat on Tuesday defeated Republican candidate Harry Arora, an investment manager who grew up in India and became a U.S. citizen after coming to the states for graduate school.

U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney has won re-election to a seventh term representing eastern Connecticut. The Democrat from Vernon has represented the 2nd Congressional District since 2007.

U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro is returning for another term in the U.S. House seat she has held since 1991.

DeLauro, a Democrat, was re-elected Tuesday for a 15th term. She was facing a rematch against the same Republican challenger from the previous election, Angel Cadena Jr., a Marine Corps veteran and truck driver from Shelton.

DeLauro is 75. She says her highest priority is improving the economy and ensuring economic policies benefit families and businesses in her district, including the city of New Haven.

Cadena had called for exploration of ways to ease traffic and endorsed the idea of a bridge over Long Island Sound to connect the New Haven area with New York state. During the campaign, he joked about the GOP not giving him money because it wanted to spend it on races it could win.

For the live results on all the Connecticut races, click here.

For more on midterm elections, click here.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Broken Tabulator Machine Causes Issues for Some Voters in Conn.]]>Tue, 06 Nov 2018 18:42:14 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/hartford+vote+tabulating+machine+2.JPG

Some voters in Hartford are having trouble getting their vote in because of a broken machine.

The moderator at the E. B. Kenelly School said the vote tabulator machine never worked this morning and he's been waiting for a fix for hours.

Since the machine is not scanning ballots, voters are pushing their auxiliary votes into the bin to be counted later. Turnout at the school has been so strong, the moderator has had to open the bin up and manually push ballots down to make room for more.

Some cities and towns keep backup tabulator machines on site at polling places, but Hartford does not so it takes time for workers to get a replacement.

One of the Registrars at City Hall said all of the tabulator machines were serviced before the primaries. She also said poll workers will remove and secure those ballots that are filling up in the bin if it becomes too full. Every vote will be counted by machine or by hand, if need be, she added.

If you experience a problem at the polls, you can call NBC Connecticut Investigates at 855-NBC-CT30.

Or you could call the state's Election Day hotline at 1-866-733-2463 or email elections@ct.gov.

You can also tell us about the issue here. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Deer Shatters Window of T-Mobile Store in Middletown]]>Tue, 06 Nov 2018 06:57:30 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/DEER-INTO-TMOBILE.jpg

A deer crashed into a T-Mobile store in Middletown Monday.

The deer crashed through the glass front window of the business on Main Street.

Workers said the deer did not actually make it into the store, but only shattered the outer layer of glass. The deer did not appear hurt and ran off.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[BBB Warns Seasonal Jobseekers of Employment Scams]]>Tue, 06 Nov 2018 06:54:04 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/212*120/Money_generic.jpg

As the holiday hiring season ramps up, the Better Business Bureau is cautioning jobseekers about employment scams.

The BBB says in 2017, it received more than 2,400 reports of employment scams. Students and people aged 25 to 34 are the most likely to be victimized, according to the organization.

Overpayment scams are among the most common. The BBB says a legitimate employer will never overpay an employee and then ask the employee to wire the money to someone else.

Another red flag is a job that requires you to make an upfront payment for materials in order to work from home. You should not have to pay money to start a job.

The BBB says jobseekers should be wary of work-from-home offers, secret shopper positions, or jobs with generic titles such as caregiver or customer service representative.

If you receive a job offer out of the blue, it’s likely a scam. Whenever you receive unsolicited contact from a recruiter or employer, whether it be on a website, email, or by phone, make sure to research the company. Stay away from businesses that don’t have a physical address or won’t provide you with details about the job and the company.

Before you provide any potential employer with your personal information, do some research on the company, and check the official website to confirm there is a job opening.

The National Retail Federation estimates retailers could add as many as 650,000 temporary positions nationwide over the 2018 holiday season. So it should be easy enough to find a legitimate job.

Kohl’s, Target, Amazon and the United States Postal Service are just a few companies looking for holiday help. Stop by the business and pick up an application in person. That way you know you’re not falling for a scam.

If you encounter an employment scam, the BBB encourages you to report it.

<![CDATA[Police ID Pedestrian Killed in Hit-and-Run in Bethany]]>Mon, 05 Nov 2018 07:29:08 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/connecticut+state+police+cruiser+lights.jpg

Connecticut State Police have identified the pedestrian who was killed in a hit-and-run crash on Route 63 in Bethany on Sunday morning.

Troopers said they were called to Route 63, on the Bethany and Naugatuck town lines, after getting a report of a pedestrian that was hit by a car around 7:30 a.m.

According to police, the vehicle fled the scene after the crash. A possible description of the vehicle is a dark green 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee with front end damage, including a right broken or missing headlight.

Naugatuck Police said the pedestrian who was hit has died. Officials have identified the pedestrian as 25-year-old Tony Pires Goncalves, of Derby.

Officers shut down Route 63 from Clark Road to Edwards Road in Bethany and asked drivers to use alternate routes. The road was closed for several hours.

The crash is under investigation by Connecticut State Police.

Anyone with information that can help investigators identify the operator or the evading vehicle is asked to contact Troop I in Bethany at (203) 393-4200.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Conn. Gov. Candidates Make Final Weekend Push]]>Mon, 05 Nov 2018 10:03:48 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/cba-debate-stefanowki-lamont-griebel.jpg

Republicans showed out for a final "Get Out the Vote" rally at a concrete company in Wallingford that more closely resembled a rally for President Donald Trump, than for Gubernatorial Nominee Bob Stefanowski.

"They can't run on their record," said Rep. Themis Klarides, (R-Derby), looking to become the first female Republican Speaker of the House. "We can run on ours," she said, before Stefanowski took the stage.

Stefanowki is a political newcomer, a former corporate executive with the likes of General Electric and UBS, as well as a payday loan company. He found himself with the attention of the entire Connecticut Republican establishment in Wallingford.

He warned of what the future may look like before the 400 or so in attendance.

“We’re going to have four more years of higher taxes, big government, out of control spending, tolls on the road, and another four years of misery, we simply cannot afford it," Stefanowski told the crowd. He urged for Republican support up and down the ballot.

Democrat Ned Lamont, who has led in all but one poll in the lead up to the election, struck a more measured tone during a press conference steps from the Connecticut State Capitol Sunday afternoon.

He warned that if Democrats do not hold on to the governor's office, then the politics of Washington and Donald Trump will creep into Connecticut.

“I know how to fix what’s wrong here in Connecticut but not at the expense of protecting what’s right and that’s our values, investing in our future and investing in our kids," he said. Lamont, a former cable television executive who has never held statewide office, said electing Stefanowski would be like electing Donald Trump.

“When it comes women’s rights, and gay rights, and civil rights, and Bob Stefanowski says, ‘it’s settled law.’ Well, there’s no settled law in the age of Trump.”

Petitioning candidate Oz Griebel, who has seen his numbers in the polls diminish slightly, says he expects to not just play the role of spoiler on Tuesday, but be a real factor.

Griebel said during a retail politics visit to Bruegger's Bagels in West Hartford, "Whatever we need to win on Tuesday, I’m convinced we’re going to have that number of votes.”

He urged voters to vote for the best candidate they think can solve the state's problems and to ignore the political rhetoric coming from both major party candidates.

“Grow the proverbial spine, and vote for the best ticket and move Connecticut forward based on what’s best for taxpayers, residents, and employers, not who’s in charge at the State House.”

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Power Restored After Outages Delayed Flights at Conn.'s Bradley Airport]]>Mon, 05 Nov 2018 18:35:15 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/bdlcrowd1.jpg

The lights are back on at Bradley International Airport and TSA screening has resumed after a power problem caused multiple outages on Monday morning.

Authorities at the airport in Connecticut said it experienced a power loss from its main source of power.

Terminal A had been operating on backup power, the airport said. Some areas were operating with lights and others were not.

Airport officials are working with Eversource to determine the cause of the power loss.

The power problems impacted the airport's TSA screening area and no screening was taking place for hours. A crowd of people could be seen standing in the dark near the TSA checkpoint around 4 a.m.

Some lights flickered back on around 4:45 a.m. before fully returning around 5 a.m.

Around 5:20 a.m., the lights went out again. Power was restored around 6 a.m. before going out again around four minutes later.

Officials restored power again shortly after.

Hundreds of people were stranded in the terminals waiting to get their tickets and go through TSA. Passengers were allowed to enter the TSA checkpoint around 7:30 a.m.

More than 20 flights are delayed because of the power problems. 

Inbound roadway access to the airport was temporarily closed, but has since reopened.

If you are scheduled to fly this morning, you're urged to contact your airline to find out the status of your flight.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Branford Police Search for Vehicle That Hit Bicyclist]]>Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:10:37 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Branford+hit+run+truck.jpg

Police in Branford, Connecticut are asking for the public's help to locate a pickup they said was involved in a hit-and-run that left a bicyclist seriously injured on Sunday.

Police said a man driving a 2013 white Ford F250 pickup hit a bicyclist on East Main Street (Route 1), near the intersection of Featherbed Lane, around 8:20 a.m. then left the scene and went east on Route 1.

The bicyclist, a 52-year-old Branford woman, was seriously injured and was transported to the hospital, according to police. She is in serious, but stable condition, police said Monday.

Officers are asking for help to locate the truck, which has CT plate 8334C2 and driver. Police said the pickup has damage to the passenger side headlight area.

If you saw the accident or have information that could assist in the investigation, you're urged to call Detective Art Ferris at (203) 481-4241.

Photo Credit: Branford Police]]>
<![CDATA[Man Made 'Inappropriate Comments' to Girl Walking in Vernon: Police]]>Sat, 03 Nov 2018 07:51:06 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/VERNON-INCIDENT.jpg

Vernon police are investigating after a man in a car approached a middle school student and made inappropriate comments to her while she walking down the street Friday, according to police.

Police said the girl was walking in the area of Tracy Drive, Vernon Summit Drive and Kenneth Drive around 2:37 p.m. when she was approached by a man driving a black Nissan. The girl reported the man made inappropriate comments to her then drove off. The girl went home and told an adult, who called police.

The girl was not hurt during the incident and the man did not try to get her into the car.

Vernon Public Schools have been informed.

Police have released surveillance footage of the vehicle involved. The man is described as in his mid-20s, with short dark hair. Anyone with information or who may have seen the vehicle in the neighborhood is asked to contact police at 860-872-9126. Information can be given anonymously.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[School Transportation Driver Accused of Soliciting Girl]]>Sat, 03 Nov 2018 07:58:23 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/cell+phone+generic+GettyImages-113252279.jpg

A school bus or van driver is accused of sending obscene photos to a 13-year-old girl on his route, then asking her to send him nude photos of herself and he has been arrested.

Federal officials said 36-year-old Jose Manuel Santos, of Bridgeport, was arrested on a federal criminal complaint charging him with transfer of obscene materials to a minor, and enticement of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity, according to federal officials. 

Officials said the teen’s mother gave the victim’s cell phone to investigators who found a sexually explicit photo of Santos that he sent to the girl and text messages from Santos in which he asked the girl to send him a sexually explicit photo of her, federal officials said.

The court documents said the company Santos works suspended him as soon as the allegations were made. 

Santos appeared in court today and was detained.

No additional information was immediately available, including where Santos is or was a bus driver.

Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[DACA Recipient Earns Right to Practice Law in Connecticut]]>Fri, 02 Nov 2018 19:38:44 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/PerezIllana-0132.jpg

For any new law school graduate, the relief of being admitted to the bar is real.

"It’s just the end of law school and feeling like I can relax," Denia Perez said.

For one new attorney, it’s an accomplishment that wasn’t allowed for her until now.

"I get to be a part of history," Perez said.

Perez is a Dreamer, a DACA recipient who came to the U.S. from Mexico at 11 months old. Until last year the Quinnipiac law grad wasn’t allowed to practice law in Connecticut, so she worked to change it.

"We amended the language in the practice book so that people with work authorization would be able to be admitted to the Connecticut bar," Perez said.

"For someone to take that on early in her career she probably has a very bright future in front of herself," Jonathan Shapiro, president of the Connecticut Bar Association said.

Perez’s mom is proud of the first of her kind attorney and for what she calls a hard-fought journey for citizenship.

"I wanted her to be successful because I didn’t have the opportunity to go at school back there," Genoveva Noriega said.

"She’s felt the pain so she knows what it’s been taking your mom your dad is going to be away from you," Noriega added.

For Perez its personal experience now paving the way for her to put into practice.

"I’m really glad I was able to do this for myself but also honestly for other people who are like me I want to stay in Connecticut," Perez said.

Perez is now working as a fellow in New York, she plans on putting her experience to practice and becoming an immigration attorney.

Photo Credit: Mark Brendel ]]>
<![CDATA[I-95 North in Milford, Conn. to Be Closed for Hours After Crash]]>Fri, 02 Nov 2018 10:42:54 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Truck+rollover+on+Interstate+95+in+Milford+11012018.jpg

Police have identified the driver of a dump truck who died after hitting a highway sign on Interstate 95 North in Milford Thursday morning as 63-year-old Anthony Edward Drozd, of Middletown.

State police said the body of the dump truck he was driving was raised and hit the DOT sign for exit 41, which caused the truck to rollover.

Drozd was thrown from his vehicle and sustained extensive traumatic injuries, officials said.

A physician and an EMT who came upon the crash provided medical assistance until emergency crews arrived and Drozd was transported to Yale Trauma Center, but died at the hospital, according to fire officials.

The crash happened at 7:52 a.m., police said. It’s not clear why the body of the truck was raised and whether it somehow became raised or whether it was unintentionally left up.

Another vehicle was also involved in the crash, but the driver was not seriously injured.

The highway was closed where the crash happened from around 7:45 a.m. until around 2:45 p.m.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Alert Canceled for 85-Year-Old Woman Reported Missing From Branford]]>Fri, 02 Nov 2018 13:52:38 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/PATRICIA-READ.JPG

Police have canceled an alert for an 85-year-old woman who was reported missing from Branford.

Authorities issued a Silver Alert for 85-year-old Patricia Read, who was reported missing Thursday, and they canceled it Thursday night.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police]]>
<![CDATA[I-95 North in Milford, Conn. to Be Closed for Hours After Crash]]>Fri, 02 Nov 2018 12:10:42 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Truck+rollover+on+Interstate+95+in+Milford+11012018.jpg

The driver of a dump truck is dead after hitting a highway sign on Interstate 95 North in Milford Thursday morning, according to fire officials, and the highway reopened after being closed for nearly seven hours. 

Officials from Milford Fire Rescue said the driver of a dump truck was thrown from his vehicle on the northbound side of I-95 between exits 40 and 41 around 7:45 a.m. and sustained extensive traumatic injuries.

Police have identified the driver of the dump truck as 63-year-old Anthony Edward Drodz, of Middletown.

A physician and an EMT who came upon the crash provided medical assistance until emergency crews arrived and the Dordz was transported to Yale Trauma Center, but died at the hospital, according to fire officials.

Another vehicle was also involved in the crash, but the driver was not seriously injured.

The highway was closed where the crash happened from around 7:45 a.m. until around 2:45 p.m.

The crash was at the Quarry Road overpass and it was also shut down. The state Department of Transportation will inspect it for safety and crews from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection responded to the scene to handle hazardous fluids.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[3 Stabbed During Halloween Party in Conn.]]>Thu, 01 Nov 2018 08:56:45 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Stabbing+at+Halloween+party+in+Farmington.JPG

Three people were stabbed during a Halloween party in Farmington early Thursday morning and police said information about the party was posted on Snapchat, which led to as many as 300 people showing up.

Farmington police received a 911 call about a loud party outside a home on Talcott Notch Road at 12:40 a.m., responded and 100 to 300 people inside and outside the house.

Officers found two stabbing victims at the scene. One was in critical condition and went to UConn Health and West Hartford Police were called in to assist Farmington Police with crowd control at UConn Health after the stabbing, officials said.

Another victim was in serious condition. Both victims are in stable condition Thursday morning, officials said.

A third victim was found in a Hartford area hospital with superficial stab wounds and has been released.

Police have not identified the victims but said they are 19-, 26- and 27-years-old and were not from Farmington.

Police are asking that anyone with information call Farmington Police.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Former West Haven Police Officer Charged With 87 Counts of Forgery ]]>Thu, 01 Nov 2018 05:48:14 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/David+Tamarro+State+police+mug.jpg

The former public information officer for the West Haven police department has been arrested and charged with 87 counts of forgery after an investigation into allegations of falsified overtime slips.

State police arrested 49-year-old David Tamarro, of West Haven, Wednesday and charged him with 87 counts of second-degree forgery.

State police said they started investigating in February when the Milford State’s Attorney’s Office asked that they investigate allegations that Tammaro falsified hours on overtime slips and forged the signatures of supervisors over a timespan of several years.

Tamarro was the public information officer and also supervised the school resource officer program, the community resource officer program.

The person who filed the complaint claimed that Tamarro took advantage of his position as public information officer to be paid overtime for hours he did not work, according to the arrest warrant application.  

Tamarro was suspended with pay on March 1, pending an internal investigation, according to the arrest warrant application. 

Bond was set at $10,000 and he was released.

Tamarro is due in Milford Superior Court on Nov. 13.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police]]>
<![CDATA[Police ID 4-Year-Old Who Died in Conn. Hot Car Incident]]>Thu, 01 Nov 2018 10:58:57 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WEST-HAVEN-HOT-CAR.jpg

The parents of a 4-year-old boy who died after he and his brother went into the family car alone on a hot day in West Haven have been arrested.

Dusan Jenkins, 34, and Latoya Walters, 34, turned themselves into police Wednesday after learning of warrants for their arrests and are due back in court on Nov. 13.

Police were dispatched to the family’s Treat Street home around 3 p.m. on July 19 after receiving a 911 call and said they found 4-year-old Dusan and his 2-year-old brother, Davion, suffering medical issues.

The boys were rushed to the hospital, where Dusan was pronounced dead.

As police investigated, they reviewed closed-circuit recordings from a camera located at the building where the family lives and said part of the recordings showed the brothers leave the apartment house alone and approach the family’s car, according to police.

The recordings also showed the boys’ father removing them from the same vehicle and bringing them back to the apartment house.

Jenkins is charged with criminally negligent homicide, reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor. His bond was set at $15,000, 

Walters is charged with false statement, reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor. Both were held on bond. Her bond was set at $10,000. 

They both posted bond and are due back in court on Nov. 13.

Photo Credit: Stringr.com/West Haven Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[Campaign Mailer Targeting Jewish Candidate Sparks Condemnation]]>Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:02:47 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/lesser-mailer-2.jpg

The fallout over a campaign mailer sent to Connecticut voters that some argue is anti-Semitic continues to grow. 

That mailer was sent by Ed Charamut’s state senate campaign and depicts what appears to be a doctored image of his opponent Matt Lesser, who is Jewish, with wide eyes grinning while gazing at several hundred dollar bills.

At an event to denounce the mailer Wednesday morning, Lesser said in a week when 11 people were killed in a synagogue for practicing their faith, an apology for this mailer simply isn’t enough but it’s a place to start.

“It’s astonishing. It’s deeply hurtful. It’s not something I thought I would ever have to live through,” he said at the event that included faith and civic leaders speaking in opposition to the mailer.

Critics say the message of anti-Semitism couldn’t be clearer.

“You cannot pretend that it doesn’t mean what it was meant to mean. So today, we have to condemn that mailer,” said Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin.

In a statement posted to Facebook, the Charamut campaign apologized for the mailer saying they understand now it could be seen as anti-Semitic, but “it was never our intention for the mailer to be anything more than a reflection of Mr. Lesser’s policy record.”

Wethersfield resident Alyse Black says she picked up on what she thinks was the mailer’s true intent.

“I don’t think that in this day and age you can look at an image like that or feel the anti-Semitic things that are going on or anything else that going on in this world and pretend that is just simply tax related or simply money-related,” said Black.

Wednesday, Lesser was asked if he believed Charamut should get out of the senate race. He told NBC Connecticut he’d leave that decision his opponent, but believes the mailer’s message is a disqualifier from public office.

“My hope is that the public on Tuesday will vote and vote against hatred and division, bigotry and anti-Semitism,” said Lesser.

You can read the Charamut’s full statement on the mailer here:

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Conn. Diocese Shares List of 'Credibly Accused' Priests]]>Wed, 31 Oct 2018 14:27:24 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Diocese+of+Bridgeport.JPG

As the Diocese of Bridgeport takes steps to deal with the fall-out from allegations of the sexual abuse of minors it has launched a website to share what the diocese is doing to protect minors and information learned from an investigation and released financial details on the $52.5 million it has paid to settle 156 abuse claims since 1953. 

“Many words have been said regarding the crime of sexual abuse of minors and the scandals that these crimes have produced, words that are needed to express our grief, anger, and confusion. However, words alone are insufficient. The time for further action has come,” Bishop Frank J. Caggiano said in a statement posted on the website.  

The website includes a list of accused clerics who served in the Diocese of Bridgeport as well as the full financial report of settlement amounts for past claims. The Diocese says the website will be updated continuously. 

“The Diocese of Bridgeport can never fully make right the suffering of victims and the sins of the past, but we are committed to bringing healing and reconciliation to all those affected by the crisis and to rebuild trust through many of the spiritual and administrative measures described in these pages,” Caggiano wrote. 

The Bridgeport diocese previously said 29 of its priests over the decades have been credibly accused of sexual abuse, and the diocese has settled at least three dozen abuse lawsuits over the years. 

“We will never permit a member of the clergy with credible allegations of sexual abuse of a minor against him to remain in active ministry within the diocese or any other priestly ministry,” the website says.

The diocese said it will “immediately remove a member of the clergy or any other Church worker from active ministry during an investigation into an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor.”

Since 1953, the diocese has paid $52.5 million to settle 156 abuse claims, according to the financial report the diocese released Wednesday, and most of the abuse was alleged to have occurred before 1990.

Twelve priests are accused of nearly 88 percent of the cases, the report says, and the average settlement payment was $337,000. 

The diocese said 92 percent of the cost of the settlements comes from the sale of diocesan property, insurance and other co-defendants. 

The report goes on to say the diocese is bound by Code of Canon Law to provide some support for priests and eight “credibly accused” priests who are still alive are receiving between $1,319 and $1,466 per month in support and the money come from past sales of Diocesan properties.  In 2018, that will amount to $135,460. 

Financial assistance to six of those priests will end at the end of the year. One additional priest will receive financial assistance until June 2019 and it is yet to be determined how long another will receive help. 

Two other “credibly accused priests” are now receiving a pension benefit and two of the eight priests who are currently receiving financial support will become eligible to receive some pension benefit after diocesan support terminates support.

Robert Holzberg, a retired Superior Court judge, is leading the investigation into sexual abuse allegations, which is expected to be finished in the spring.  

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Employee Stole Nearly $200,000 Worth of Seafood from Conn. Fish Market: Police ]]>Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:09:24 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Lance+Gravers+Hamden+mug+shot.jpg

The assistant manager of a Hamden fish market is accused of stealing nearly $200,000 worth of seafood from the shop over several years and selling it. 

Police said 57-year-old Lance Graver, of North Branford, the assistant manager of #1 Fish Market in Hamden, would arrive at work early on Monday mornings, take hundreds of dollars’ worth of seafood, put it in his vehicle, then work for the day. 

Graver told police that he stole $800 worth of seafood once a week for four years, according to a news release from police. 

Police said they received a report on April 28 that around $200,000 worth of seafood had been stolen from the business over the years and conducted an extensive investigation, which led to the application for an arrest warrant for Graver. 

The court approved the arrest warrant application and Graver was charged with larceny in the first degree. 

Police said Graver is accused of selling the seafood and the investigation is ongoing. 

Graver is scheduled to appear in Meriden Superior Court on Nov. 8. It’s not clear if he has an attorney. 

Photo Credit: Hamden Police]]>
<![CDATA[Outrage Over Political Mailer About Jewish Candidate ]]>Wed, 31 Oct 2018 17:18:49 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/lesser-mailer-2.jpg

Just a week before midterm elections, a controversial mailer some call anti-Semitic is making waves in Connecticut.

People in the Middletown area started receiving the mailer this week. It shows an apparently edited image of Matt Lesser – the Democrat running for State Senate 9th District.

It appears to show him greedily clutching $100 bills and a written message that “Matt Lesser Will Take Everything You Worked For.”

The mailer says it was paid and approved by Lesser’s Republican opponent, Ed Charamut.

Lesser, who is Jewish, said this is beyond what he would expect for a campaign.

“I’ve seen an awful a lot of negatives ads in my time. There’s been a lot in this campaign. This is unique in the sense that no other ad I’ve seen distorts my face in a certain way. It really seems to evoke this really horrible past that we’ve moved past as a country or at least we think we have and that’s why it was so disturbing,” Lesser said.

He added that what comes next is up to the voters.

Charamut responded, writing in part:

“The mailer makes the point that Matt Lesser will undoubtedly vote for higher and higher government spending. He's good at that, too. Those wishing to portray a graphic illustration as something hateful are completely wrong. I reject hate speech in all its forms.”

Charamut adds this election is a chance to move the state in a new fiscal direction.

But it’s not only his Democratic opponent that has concerns about the depiction on the mailer. Connecticut Republican Party Chairman J.R. Romano called it offensive.

"I had the opportunity to discuss some of the context of the recent mailer sent by candidate Ed Charamut involving State Representative Matt Lesser. Several things have come into perspective from conversations with Jewish friends, including Jewish Republicans. In a race with a Jewish candidate, this image should be recognized as offensive, raising classic anti-Semitic tropes. It cannot be justified. I personally would not have approved this mailer, and I am grateful that the party did not approve it. I have requested to sit down with the ADL to broaden my understanding of and sensitivity to anti-Semitism,” Romano wrote.

The Anti-Defamation League also questioned the mailer.

"As a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, ADL does not speak out in favor of or against a candidate for elective office. The juxtaposition of a Jewish candidate and money in this manner suggests an age old anti-Semitic trope. We call on the campaign to clarify its position and intent in disseminating this image," an ADL spokesperson wrote in an email to NBC Connecticut.

On Wednesday, the Charamut campaign posted an apology on Facebook.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Conn. Governor Race Too Close to Call: Quinnipiac Poll]]>Tue, 30 Oct 2018 16:30:48 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/cba-debate-stefanowki-lamont-griebel.jpg

The Connecticut gubernatorial race is considered too close to call, according to a poll released by Quinnipiac University on Tuesday.

The poll found Democrat Ned Lamont has a four-point lead over Republican Bob Stefanowski with 47 percent of likely voters to Stefanowski's 43 percent. Unaffiliated candidate Oz Griebel has fallen to 7 percent of likely voters. 

Earlier this month, Lamont had a 47-39 percent lead over Stefanowski among likely voters with 11 percent for Griebel, a QU poll showed.

Lamont tops Stefanowski 90-4 percent among Democrats with 5 percent for Griebel, while Stefanowski leads Lamont 93-5 percent among Republicans with 2 percent for Griebel.

Independent voters went 43 percent for Stefanowski while 38 percent went for Lamont and 13 percent went for Griebel.

[[492726041, c]]

Women back Lamont over Stefanowski 55-34 percent with 7 percent for Griebel, while men back Stefanowski over Lamont 51-38 percent with 7 percent for Griebel.

Only 4 percent of Connecticut likely voters remain undecided and 13 percent of those who name a candidate for governor say they may change their mind within the next week, the QU poll found.

The poll has a margin of error of +/- 4 percent. 

See the full poll results here.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Tuesday Marks Final Day to Register to Vote for Conn. Residents]]>Tue, 30 Oct 2018 05:52:27 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Approaching_Election_Day__Latest_Bay_Area_Voter_Registr.jpg

Tuesday is the last day eligible Connecticut residents can register to vote and there are several ways to do it.

Residents can head to their town hall, the Department of Motor Vehicles, do it online or even by mail.

The deadline to register in person is by the close of business and online is 11:59 p.m. Registrations done by mail must be postmarked by midnight on Tuesday.

Residents can also register in person on Election Day, but the Secretary of State's Office encourages voters to register in advance.

We are one week away from selecting a new governor.

There is a governor's debate on Tuesday night.

Last week, a Hearst Connecticut Media poll found Democrat Ned Lamont and Republican Bob Stefanowski in a statistical tie.

The Quinnipiac poll on the governor and senate race is expected to come out Tuesday morning.

<![CDATA[Car Thief Hits School Bus, Steals Good Samaritan’s Jeep: Conn. PD]]>Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:05:54 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/easthamptonbuscrash.jpg

A suspect accused of crashing a stolen vehicle into a school bus full of kids and stealing a good Samaritan’s vehicle in East Hampton has been located after a police pursuit through multiple towns that ended in a crash in East Windsor Monday.

Connecticut State Police said the incident began when a suspect driving a stolen pickup collided with a school bus full of children in East Hampton around 7:40 a.m.

When a good Samaritan stopped to help the children and make sure everyone was alright, police said the driver of the pickup then stole the good Samaritan's Jeep and took off. Authorities put out BOLOs for the vehicle, which was spotted in Waterbury. Waterbury officers pursued the suspect but eventually ended the chase.

State police spotted the vehicle using Department of Transportation cameras and followed it through several towns to Hartford. Troopers caught up with the vehicle near the Hartford tunnels and followed until the suspect collided with several other vehicles on Route 140 in East Windsor.

The suspect was taken to the hospital with injuries, police said. The extent of those injuries was not immediately clear.

People in the other vehicles reported minor injuries.

Authorities said none of the children on the school bus involved in the original crash were seriously hurt.

No other details were immediately available.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Hits Close to Home for Conn. Jewish Community]]>Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:40:36 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/PITTSBURGHSHOOTINGGettyImages-1054355742.jpg

Members of the Jewish community in Connecticut reacted with shock and disbelief following the mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue on Saturday that claimed eleven lives.

The attack at the Tree of Life synagogue took place in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood, a historically Jewish neighborhood considered one of the largest in the country. On Saturday night, Lea Schmerler, of Manchester, had yet to reach relatives living there. Her concern for them was amplified by fear that Saturday’s act of violence is just the beginning. “My parents were survivors of the Holocaust, so my feeling is, ‘here we go again,’” Schmerler said.

Howard Sovronsky, the President and CEO of the Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, was shocked to see his friend and counterpart Jeff Finkelstein, of the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh, on national television in the aftermath of the attack. The pair were together in Israel days earlier. “I turned on the TV this morning and there he was consoling his community after eleven people have been killed,” Sovronsky said.

As a precaution, Sovronsky said he is working with local police departments to add security to Jewish day schools in the area when school is in session on Monday.

Sovronsky said Jewish community leaders throughout the country are aware of a rise in anti-Semitic incidents, but that tensions nationwide should worry everyone. “Certainly the whole tone of hatred that is permeating our society now is something that we all should be concerned about,” he said.

For Maxine Lerman, of Manchester, the connections to family and friends in Pittsburgh hammered home the feeling that what happened in Pittsburgh could happen anywhere.

“You go to the synagogue to pray and pray for peace and to have something like that happen. You hear it happens other places. You don’t think it happens in your synagogue and it’s fairly close,” Lerman said.

The Jewish Federation is planning a vigil to stand in solidarity with victims of the shooting on Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. on the steps of Congregation Beth Israel in West Hartford.

Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Goat Injured in Bear Attack in Wolcott Dies]]>Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:57:20 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/karlthegoat.jpg

A goat that was injured in a bear attack in Wolcott on Friday has died.

Wolcott Police said Karl the Goat succumbed to his injuries and passed away Saturday morning.

Wolcott homeowner Brian Andrews called police just after 1 a.m. on Friday to report he had fired his gun at a bear.

Andrews's wife woke him up after hearing a commotion coming from the couple's goat pen.

When Andrews ran outside, he saw a bear attacking his goats.

"I got gun, came outside, could see the bear kinda had the goat pinned down. The goat was squealing or screaming. I actually shot into the ground, hoping to scare it away. When it heard, that bear got up, bit the back of the goat, picked it up in its mouth and carried across the pen," Andrews said.

He said he didn't think he had any other choice but to shoot at the bear.

The bear was found dead a few hours later, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said.

Karl the Goat was rushed to the emergency vet with deep wounds and passed away on Saturday.

Photo Credit: Wolcott Police]]>
<![CDATA[Police Issue Silver Alert For 3-Year-Old Boy Missing From Conn.]]>Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:01:14 -0500https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/levi-hawkins-silver-alert.jpg

Police have issued a Silver Alert for a missing 3-year-old boy in New Haven.

Levi Hawkins has been missing since earlier today.

He is described as being 3-feet tall and 50-pounds.

Police did not provide any details about the circumstances surrounding Levi going missing.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts should call New Haven police at 203-946-6321.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police]]>