<![CDATA[NECN - ]]>Copyright 2018https://www.necn.com/feature/connecticuthttp://media.necn.com/designimages/clear.gifNECNhttps://www.necn.comen-usSun, 24 Jun 2018 03:08:52 -0400Sun, 24 Jun 2018 03:08:52 -0400NBC Owned Television Stations<![CDATA[Man Shot and Killed Outside Hartford Bodega]]>Sat, 23 Jun 2018 21:54:44 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/norwichstreethartford.jpg

Detectives are working to identify a man who was shot and killed outside a bodega on Norwich Street in Hartford on Saturday morning.

Officers say they responded to a bodega on Norwich Street shortly before 10:00 a.m. after a citizen reported a man being shot.

When police arrived, officers say they found a man on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound to his head.

First responders arrived and transported the man to Hartford Hospital, where he later died at 10:19 a.m.

Detectives from the Hartford Police Major Crimes Division responded and are investigating the shooting. They say they are currently working to identify the man and notify his next of kin.

Officers say the shooting appears targeted and is not a random incident.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Second Teen Arrested After Crash Kills 2 People, Including His Pregnant Wife in Shelton]]>Sat, 23 Jun 2018 17:26:17 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/LawrenceCarter.jpg

A second teenager has been arrested in connection to a crash that killed his pregnant wife, the baby she was carrying and a teenager, according to police.

Officers say 19-year-old Lawrence Carter of Bridgeport turned himself into police on Friday. He is facing charges including manslaughter, negligent homicide with a motor vehicle, assault and illegal racing on a highway in connection to the deadly incident. He posted a $50,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court in Derby on July 9.

According to police, Carter was driving a Mini Cooper was going south on River Road on April 8 around 7:00 p.m. when he crashed into a Saturn going north. Two passengers in the Mini Cooper, 18-year-old Shalymar Herrera of West Haven and Carter's wife, 23-year-old Briana Torres-Carter of Bridgeport were both pronounced dead.

Torres-Carter was pregnant, according to police. Her father-in-law said she was eight months along in the pregnancy. Her baby was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police say Carter was critically injured in the accident. Another passenger in the car was also hospitalized with what police say were non-life threatening injuries.

The 25-year-old woman who was driving the Saturn and her two passengers, a 22-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man were also injured with what officials classified as non-life threatening injuries. All three are from Pennsylvania.

Another teenager, 19-year-old Abdulaziz Yuldoshev turned himself into police on Monday to face charges in connection to the accident. He is also facing charges including manslaughter, negligent homicide with a motor vehicle, assault and illegal racing on a highway charges.

Police say no additional arrests are expected.

Photo Credit: Shelton Police]]>
<![CDATA[23-Year-Old Man Dies After Being Shot in Chest in New Haven: PD]]>Sat, 23 Jun 2018 17:07:33 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/160*120/henrystreet_newhaven.jpg

A man has died after being shot in the chest in New Haven on Saturday afternoon.

Police say they were dispatched to a house on Henry Street around 12:30 p.m. to investigate a reported assault. When officers arrived, they say they found a 23-year-old New Haven man who had been shot in the chest. First responders rushed him to Yale-New Haven Hospital where he died at 1:00 p.m.

The man's identity has not been released.

Officers believe the shooting occurred inside of the house and not on the public street.

Detectives are investigating the shooting. 

Anyone who witnessed the shooting or who may have information that could help investigators is asked to call police at (203) 946-6316 or you can text "NHPD plus your message" To 274637. Calls may be made anonymously.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Rollover Crash on Route 10 in Farmington Sends Woman to Hospital]]>Sat, 23 Jun 2018 15:34:39 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/farmingtonrollover.JPG

A rollover crash on Route 10 in Farmington has sent a woman to the hospital on Saturday morning.

According to firefighters, the female driver of the car was trapped after the car rolled down into a ditch on the side of the road on Main Street.

Police say the driver was hospitalized with unknown injuries. Nobody else was hurt.

Officials are investigating the cause of the accident.

The road was closed while police removed the car, but it has since reopened.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[CCSU Releases Report on Investigation Into University Police Department]]>Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:22:33 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/CCSU+Police.jpg

Central Connecticut State University has released a report on the investigation into how the university police department handled allegations of the sexual assault of one of its own officers as well as other personnel and climate matters within the department. Among the findings were that the police department had a "fraternity-like environment."

The university president has also placed the Chief Administrative Officer, who was responsible for management of the police department, on leave and hired an assistant to the president for safety to identify and “correct defective procedures, policies, and training, evaluate staffing levels and budgetary issues.” 

Central Connecticut State University President Zulma R. Toro had ordered the investigation into the CCSU Police Department. 

The university said a reported sexual assault of a female CCSU police officer by a male CCSU police officer and an investigation the University’s Office of Diversity and Equity conducted on it compelled Toro to hire the Hartford law firm Shipman & Goodwin LLP to conduct an independent investigation. 

“I am deeply disturbed and saddened by the investigation findings,” Toro stated in a news release issued Friday morning. “There is significant evidence that the sexual assault complaint by one of the department’s own officers was inappropriately handled when the incident was first reported in 2016. I am particularly troubled as to how the department’s chain of command did not, in a timely manner, conduct an investigation when the sexual assault was first reported.” 

CCSU outlined what the investigators found, including:

  • Several police officers were hired by the CCSU Police Department even though background checks found evidence of significant discipline or other disqualifying performance issues in their past. 
  • An informal environment exists within the department, including relaxed professional standards and a fraternity-like environment, including inappropriate behavior, banter, or horseplay. 
  • Required sexual harassment prevention and other trainings are not taken seriously and serve as additional evidence that diversity and equity principles are not respected and that there is a pervasive use of inappropriate gender labels for women and perception that the work of females is subjected to harsher criticism. 

The four-month investigation began in January 2018 and included a review of records and dozens of interviews with the department’s police officers and employees and several University administrators and staff, according to CCSU. 

CCSU has hired Bernard R. Sullivan, the retired Commissioner of Public Safety and former Hartford Police Chief, to serve as CCSU’s Assistant to the President for Safety. 

He will oversee the police department and will also be responsible for identifying and correcting defective procedures, policies, and training, evaluating staffing levels and budgetary issues. 

Based on the report’s findings, Chief Administrative Officer Richard Bachoo has been placed on administrative leave pending further investigation, according to CCSU. His responsibilities included management of the police department. 

Toro also has also changed how background checks of police department candidates are managed and the Office of Human Resources, rather than the police department, will supervise and evaluate the collection of background information. 

Mark Ojakian, president, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities, released a statement after CCSU released the report. 

“Today, Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) released a report that is the result of an internal investigation ordered by President Toro into the CCSU Campus Police Department. I, along with the Board of Regents for Higher Education, am deeply disturbed about the report’s findings and the alleged conduct by certain CCSU police officers and CCSU administrators. 

“Let me say plainly, we will not tolerate any staff engaging in inappropriate sexual behavior or failing to take swift and appropriate action when incidents are reported. 

“The initial investigation, which began late last year, the hiring of an outside law firm, and the decision to the put CCSU Police Department under special supervision were all initiated by President Toro who has responded quickly and decisively. 

“I also support bringing in Bernie Sullivan, former State Police Commissioner and former Hartford Police Chief to oversee the CCSU Police Department. I have known Bernie for years and fully trust his ability to restore professionalism to the Department and take any disciplinary action that may be appropriate,” Ojakian said in a statement.  

See the full report here.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Man Dies After Being Pulled From Lake in Watertown, Conn.]]>Fri, 22 Jun 2018 07:54:29 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/SYLVAN-LAKE-WATERTOWN.jpg

A 23-year-old swimmer drowned at Sylvan Lake in Watertown Thursday.

Crews were called to the area around 3:35 p.m. for a missing swimmer. Fire officials said rescuers pulled the victim from the water after approximately 20 minutes of searching.

Authorities said the man may have been under the water for approximately an hour.

The man, identified as Isaiah Anderson, was taken to Waterbury Hospital for treatment, where he was later pronounced dead.

According to police, the incident happened in a posted no swimming area. Police said the park has a designated swimming area, but it was not yet open for the season.

More information was not immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[2 More Candidates for Governor Make Primary Ballots]]>Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:16:06 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Ganim-on-ballot.jpg

Tuesday brought several developments in the race to become the next governor of Connecticut.

First, late Tuesday, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim and Greenwich hedge fund manager David Stemerman, a Democrat and Republican, respectively, were certified to appear on the August 14 primary ballot.

Both Ganim and Stemerman were petitioning on to the ballot through a signature collection process whereby each campaign had to collect signatures from two percent of the registered members of their parties. For Ganim, he collected more than 17,000 when he needed about 15,000, and Stemerman, it was announced, collected more than 10,000 signatures when he needed 9,000.

Ganim is in the midst of a political rebirth after spending more than six years in federal prison on corruption charges stemming from his first stint as Bridgeport mayor.

He said he wants the race against the endorsed Democrat, Ned Lamont, to be a wide open race filled with debates and public appearances.

"This is too important for the next seven weeks to go by without debates, open frank candid discussion about me and what I feel about Connecticut and what I can bring as its next governor," Ganim said Wednesday.

"The message I will be delivering to voters over the next eight weeks is simple: we need to turn the moving trucks around and once again make Connecticut the best place in the country to live, work, and raise a family," Stemerman said in a statement.

The other major development of the day was that both Mark Boughton and Tim Herbst, two Republicans seeking their party’s nomination, were approved for $1.35 million each for public financing for the respective campaigns.

Boughton, the current mayor of Danbury, is the endorsed candidate of the Connecticut Republican Party. He said in a statement, I will continue to engage Connecticut voters and the general public with our message of fiscal restraint and common sense with a plan to re-shape our state's future.''

<![CDATA[Community Mourns Waterbury Teacher Killed in Water Accident]]>Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:15:13 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WANDA-TIRADO-PRAYER-VIGIL.jpg

A Waterbury school community is mourning the death of one of their teachers after a boating accident in New Fairfield.

Wanda Tirado, a mother of two and a teacher at St. Mary’s School, was described as a shining light in her school community.

Tirado suffered fatal injuries Tuesday when she was struck by an alleged hit-and-run boater while she was swimming in Candlewood Lake in New Fairfield.

On Wednesday the St. Mary’s community gathered at the Basilica of The Immaculate Conception to hold a prayer service for Tirado.

“The last day has just been sad,” said St. Mary’s School Principal Jonathan DeRosa. “I think everyone is sort of pinching themselves right now wondering if this is real.”

Many who knew and loved Tirado came together to pray in her memory hours after her death.

“She was the energy of our school, honestly. No matter what was going on, she came there with a smile,” DeRosa said.

The rector of the parish where Tirado taught said the community is struggling to make sense of her death and relying on each other in their time of grief.

“You just got to hold on. There’s nothing else you can do. But through love, through our relationships, that’s where we experience the healing,” said Father Christopher of the Basilica of The Immaculate Conception.

Police arrested 65-year-old Gary Morrone in connection with the deadly incident. Right now, a lot of people said they don’t understand why Tirado was taken away, but they’re helping each other to remember her life and get through this time of tragedy.

“We know that this doesn’t make sense right now, but that Ms. Tirado loved them all very much and that we’re all in this together and that we as a community are gonna support each other and get each other’s backs,” DeRosa said.

Morrone was released on a $10,000 bond. He is due in court on July 3. Information on funeral arrangements for Wanda Tirado has not yet been released.

Photo Credit: Contributed/NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Conn. Deputy Selectman Accused of Assault]]>Thu, 21 Jun 2018 13:24:22 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Steve-dearborn.jpg

An East Windsor town official is accused of punching a 70-year-old man in the face, according to East Windsor police.

In a post on the department's Facebook page, police said they responded to a call from an elderly victim who claimed he was attacked by 65-year-old Deputy Selectman Steve Dearborn.

The police report says Dearborn punched the left side of the 70-year-old man’s face and the man fell to the ground. After hitting the man, Dearborn “aggressively continued to fight with the victim for several seconds,” the police report says.

The victim suffered bruising and swelling, according to police.

Dearborn was released on a $5,000 bond. He is due in court on July 3.

NBC Connecticut went to Dearborn's home Thursday and no one answered, the to his business and he was not there. 

Photo Credit: East Windsor Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[Dog Survives Bear Attack in Conn.]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:01:04 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/DogSurvivesBearAttack.png

A family's dog in Bristol is recovering after being attacked by a bear on Monday.

Marie Struckman said her dog Charlie was out in their backyard on Holly Berry Road when the bear attacked.

In a Facebook post, Struckman said "It was the single most scariest thing I have ever witnessed. The bear bit and clawed at him. The amount of blood loss was ridiculous. Thankfully, after spending the entire morning in surgery, Charlie is home resting."

In Struckman's post, she said DEEP should try and relocate the bear, but DEEP said relocations only occur in limited circumstances when the bear is in an inapropriate setting such as near a highway or highly urban area.

According to officials at DEEP, we have an estimated bear population of about 800 that's growing by 10 percent per year with no way to control it. They say we can expect more bear interactions to happen more frequently.

Photo Credit: Marie Struckman]]>
<![CDATA[UConn Gene Editing Research Could Benefit Citrus Industry]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:10:40 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/UCONN-GENE-EDITING.jpg

The Florida citrus industry is having their worst harvest in 73 years, and scientists at the University of Connecticut are stepping in to help.

The poor harvest is in part because of damage from Hurricane Irma, but the devastation started long before that. A disease known as citrus greening has been wreaking havoc for years. UConn researchers are working on a solution.

“Our hope is that we can modify endogenous genes in citrus to create the greening disease's resistance,” explained University of Connecticut scientist Dr. Yi Li.

Gene editing is often discussed in terms of medical advancements and new health treatments. But gene editing can also benefit the food we eat and agriculture as well. Some of the latest developments are happening in Connecticut.

Florida citrus crops have been falling victim to the greening disease since 2005. The contagious disease is spread by a bacteria found in insects feeding off of citrus crops. The bacteria grows and spreads throughout the trees. But the process is slow - it can take up to five years after a tree is infected for it to show signs of damage. As of today, 75 percent of the Florida citrus crops have been wiped out by this quickly spreading disease that has also made its way to crops in Texas and California.

The UConn scientists are working in conjunction with the University of Florida to find a cure.

“We are basically the technology development lab,” Li said. “And then once we develop the technology people in Florida our collaborators are going to use our technology to genetically modify citrus genome.”

These small, targeted changes to an organism’s original genes produce a specific beneficial result. These genetic alterations can provide plants and animals with beneficial characteristics, just like the disease resistance seen in the citrus crops.

Helping the Florida citrus crop is only part of what’s being done here in the lab. Li and his team have also been implementing their gene editing technique on landscaping products that could soon be used in your own backyard. Their latest project? Slow growing grass.

“We started to breed them to develop these traits that we thought would be beneficial to lawn owners, homeowners, and commercial lawn care people,” explains PhD student Lorenzo Katin-Grazzini, “Such as slow growth to drastically reduce the mowing time that’s needed to really just save cost and time and energy associated with turf grass management.”

Li has also created a genetically modified burning bush, a plant often found in New England that spreads rapidly. Where it grows nothing else can, decreasing the diversity in our forests.

“They either don’t produce seeds or produce very few seeds as such that the birds cannot spread them anymore because there are no seeds,” Li said. “So we hope that those plants are going to be released through horticulture in the next two to three years.”

But the lab at UConn isn’t stopping there.

“I do want to work with more ornamental plants,” Li said. “Particularly invasive plants because I do think that has a huge impact on biodiversity on our environment so if we can use gene editing technology to make that non-invasive that’s what I would like to work on.”

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Over 100 Bags of Heroin, Other Drugs Seized From Car]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:10:17 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/GrotonPDDrugArrests.jpg

Police in Groton seized over 100 bags of heroin and other drugs from a car in Groton on Tuesday.

Officers from Groton Police Department, the Department of Adult Probation and the Department of Correction Parole Division say they observed suspicious activity in a vehicle occupied by 28-year-old Sasha Ann Santiago of Norwich and 30-year-old Alejandro Guerra of Hartford, while in the parking lot of a local business in a known crime area. Both Santiago and Guerra are known by officers to be associated with narcotics sales, according to police.

Investigators say they went over to the car and seized 26 grams of crack cocaine, 133 bags of heroin, 60 Benzodiazepine pills, nine opiate pills, two grams of marijuana, one gram of cocaine and $2,542.

Police arrested both Santiago and Guerra. They are now facing charges including possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and operating a drug factory.

Both Santiago and Guerra were held on $50,000 bond at the Groton Police Department pending their court appearance on Wednesday.

Anyone with any information regarding illegal drug activity is urged to call Groton Police at 860-441-6712. All calls will be kept confidential.

Photo Credit: Groton Police]]>
<![CDATA[Bear Euthanized After Breaking Into House]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:29:54 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/TORRINGTON-BEAR-SCREEN.jpg

State Environmental Conservation Police euthanized a bear that entered a Torrington home through a window Tuesday while a teenager was home alone, according to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

Torrington police said officers responded to 3467 Winsted Road after a bear pushed through a window screen to get at a loaf of bread on the counter.

Eighteen-year-old Carlos Novicky was home alone at the time.

“The noise was too loud to be coming from the cats. So I thought there was an intruder. Went out to look what was happening, went to the kitchen, turned my head to the right, saw a bear staring right at me," he said.

Novicky said he went back to his room and called his mom and she instructed him to call police, so Carlos called police and animal control.

"To get a call that you have a bear going into your house is kind of crazy," Carlos' mom, Kelly Novicky, said. 

The bear left after getting what he wanted.

When the bear left the house state Environmental Conservation police euthanized the animal, which is standard DEEP protocol, DEEP confirmed.

The female bear was approximately 1 year old and DEEP said the agency had no previous contact with the animal.

Photo Credit: Contributed Photo]]>
<![CDATA[2 New England States Make Worst Road Trip Destination List]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:31:19 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/generic-beach-resized.jpg

As kids count the days until their last class at school, parents finalize their family getaways, meaning summer is just around the corner. WalletHub created a ranking of U.S. states based on how well they can host a summer vacation, just in time for those who yet to know where to go this year.

Various New England states scored high and low on the 2018’s Best and Worst States for Summer Road Trips. Taking attractions, safety, gas prices and other costs into consideration, the list revealed surprising information on some beloved New England areas.

Unfortunately, Rhode Island was placed last on the overall list for best summer spots, with Connecticut following closely behind.

Both states scored amongst the top five listed for priciest automobile repairs.

In addition to the costly fixings, Rhode Island also placed fourth in having the lowest total area designated as national parkland. Connecticut was also recognized for its costly camping price.

Although Wyoming scored the top spot as the overall best, Maine was branded as the 16th best state and top state for summer fun in New England. It was recognized for having the lowest cost of car repairs and having one of the fewest car thefts in the U.S.

Vermont was considered to have the fewest car thefts per capita with New Hampshire closely following.

WalletHub also offered sage advice from university officials for travellers.

JCentral Connecticut State University Director of Tourism and Hospitality Studies, Jeffrey Kreeger, suggested national parks as a great vacation spot. More affordable than theme parks but less visited, national parks make a great alternative for many, according to Kreeger.

While fast food restaurants may be a convenient and tempting stop for long distance drivers, packing a cooler is a better choice, according to Gabriella Petrick of Boston University’s School of Hospitality Administration. The cooler allows healthier items to be stored during timely trips and can also be used to store local goods from farmer’s markets, according to Petrick.

Whether your family prefers an exciting adventure filled with thrills or a relaxing break with a picturesque view, you can find your ideal spot in many New England hot spots.

Photo Credit: Archivo
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[CEO of Foxwoods Dies Unexpectedly]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:58:26 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Foxwoods+external+photo.jpg

The president and CEO of Foxwoods Resort Casino passed away unexpectedly, according to the casino.

The Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and Foxwoods Resort Casino made the announcement Monday about the passing of president and CEO Felix Rappaport.

“On behalf of the entire Tribal Council, Foxwoods management team and staff, we extend our deepest sympathies to Felix’s family,” MPTN Chairman, Rodney Butler said in a statement. “With his passing, we have suffered a major loss. Felix’s passion for modernizing and growing Foxwoods, as well as his friendship, mentorship and humor touched everyone who worked with him. We are confident that Felix’s legacy will live on as we continue to push forward on the vision he set.”

Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Police said Rappaport died in a suite at Foxwoods. The medical examiner has not released the cause of death.

Before joining Foxwoods, Rappaport worked for Station Casinos, Hershey Entertainment and Resort Company, Mirage and Treasure Island. He also previously served as President/COO of Mirage, NYNY, Luxor and Excalibur, while working for MGM Resorts International.

<![CDATA[12-Year-Old Bloomfield, Conn. Boy Reported Missing]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:13:45 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Daquan+Clark+missing.jpg

A 12-year-old boy who was missing from Bloomfield since Friday has been found safe.

Daquan Clark did not come home from school on Friday and was reported missing, according to police.

Officers say he was found safe on Monday.

Photo Credit: Silver Alert]]>
<![CDATA[Police ID 2 Killed in Multi-Vehicle Crash on I-84 East in Tolland]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 12:05:00 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/2+killed+in+crash+on+Interstate+84+in+Tolland.jpg

A 65-year-old Hartford man and a 52-year-old Hartford woman are dead after a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 84 in Tolland early Sunday morning.

State police say a Chevy Malibu, a tractor-trailer and a Honda CRV collided and closed both sides of the highway near exits 67 and 68 around 12:40 a.m.

Richard Wells, 65, of Hartford, was driving the Malibu and lost control, hit the guardrail, went back into the right lane and the tractor-trailer hit the car, according to state police.

Wells and the passenger in the Malibu, 52-year-old Carolyn Everett, of Hartford, were pronounced dead at the scene, according to a news release from state police.

The tractor-trailer driver refused medical treatment and the driver of the CRV was transported to St. Francis Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

DEEP was called to clean up 80 gallons of fuel that leaked from the tractor-trailer.

Lanes of the highway reopened by 12:30 p.m.

It is unclear what caused Wells to lose control of the vehicle he was driving.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[2 Children Seriously Injured in Conn. Hit-And-Run; Man Arrested]]>Sun, 17 Jun 2018 15:30:49 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/carlosdavila_norwichpd.jpg

A man from Colchester is facing charges after a crash that seriously injured two children in Norwich on Saturday night.

Police say they responded to a two-car crash on Hamilton Avenue around 7:15 p.m. Investigators determined a black pick-up truck being driven by 32-year-old Carlos Davila swerved into oncoming traffic and hit a vehicle with a mom and her two children inside. A 3-year-old and a 6-year-old who were inside the vehicle were taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Officials say Davila then fled from the accident scene on foot before being apprehended by Connecticut State Police.

Davila was arrested and is facing charges including assault with a motor vehicle, evading serious physical injury, reckless driving, operating under the influence and interfering with an officer.

Prior to the accident, officers believe Davila was involved in a road rage incident with another vehicle on Hamilton Avenue. The vehicle involved in the altercation with Davila is being described as a brown Acura TL from the early to middle 2000's. It was last seen traveling northbound on Hamilton Avenue.

Anyone with any information about the accident or the brown Acura TL is asked to call or email Officer Kevin McNeill at (860) 886-5561 or kmcneill@cityofnorwich.org. You can also call the department's anonymous tip line at (860) 886-5561 ext. 4. Police remind callers that all information can be kept confidential.

Photo Credit: Norwich Police]]>
<![CDATA[Excited Public Gets First Chance to Ride the Rails on New Hartford Line]]>Sun, 17 Jun 2018 11:52:56 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/hartfordlinecollage2.png

The goal of the new Hartford line is to get cars off the roads during the work week and connect Connecticut commuters from the shoreline to the capital city and beyond. However, this weekend, passengers who hopped aboard the new Hartford rail line were looking to ride for pleasure.

“The last time I rode north from Hartford was 1958. When I was three years old,” explained Roger Ristau of Willimantic.

Ristau, a self-described train enthusiast, wanted to recreate his ride to Springfield, Massachusetts 60-years ago. The inaugural ride attracted many train aficionados, like Gary Grahl, who drove in from New York City to be on the first train out of the station.

“During my life I’ve been at closings. The last train here, the last trolley there and it’s nice to be at a place where something is new. I’d like to be on the first instead of the last,” said Grahl.

Mike and Kam Perotti had a day of errands and household chores planned, but when they heard about the free ride, they decided to hop aboard and celebrate their 34th wedding anniversary in the Big Apple instead.

“We’re going to take the train into New Haven and then from New Haven into New York,” said Kam.

After this weekend, a one-way ticket will cost eight-dollars.

“Although there were some trains on this line they were relatively infrequent and expensive, people tended not to use it because it was expensive. What we’ve done is lower the fairs,” explained Rich Andreski, CTDOT Transit Bureau Chief.

The $768-million-dollar project was paid for with state and federal funds and took three years to build.

Officials say the train will take 45 minutes to get to Hartford from New Haven, making three stops along the way in Wallingford, Meriden, and Berlin, and 81 minutes from New Haven to Springfield, stopping in Windsor and Windsor Locks. From there, passengers will be able to board others lines and travel even further.

With children in New York City and Boston, the Perrottis expect to be frequent passengers.

“I’ve always thought it would be great to have a train from Hartford to New York and Hartford to Boston so when I heard about this I was super excited,” Mike said.

“Although the free rides end this weekend, free parking will continue at some of the stations along the Hartford line until September 3rd.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Students Disciplined After Watermelon Prank Clogs Toilets]]>Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:22:34 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WETHERSFIELD-WATERMELON.jpg

Things got a little fruity at Wethersfield High School Friday.

“I was going to the bathroom and before I could get in I saw teachers holding watermelons in their hands and I heard someone say there's four more watermelons in the girls' bathroom,” sophomore Natalia Travaglini told NBC Connecticut.

Some students placed fruit, including watermelons, inside toilets around the school. Superintendent Michael Emmett said it was a senior prank.

But while the prank may have been done in good fun, the high school principal said that it caused quite a bit of damage to the recently renovated school.

“I was in the hallway, and I saw kids going in with watermelons and the teachers came out and stopped them,” sophomore Haley Dellafera told NBC Connecticut.

Emmett said that those involved were held accountable, but declined to go into detail regarding what consequences the prank could bring for students getting ready to take the stage for graduation.

The fruit prank blocked up several toilets and resulted in an overflow, according to a letter from Principal Thomas Moore sent home to parents.

“I went to go to the bathroom as well and I just the door was locked,” explained sophomore Eliza Martinez.

Moore said students had to use the bathrooms near the main office because the rest had to be closed to assess the damage and that school officials are “currently investigating the vandalism to our toilets, ceiling tiles, carpet and floor tiles.”

The prank got the school talking, and left a lot of mixed reactions.

“I kind of thought it was funny,” Dellafera said.

“It's a waste of good food,” student Justus Feliciano told NBC Connecticut.

Multiple students and parents told NBC Connecticut they’re hearing at least one student if not more may not be able to walk across the stage at graduation because of this.

The superintendent said he is unable to comment on student discipline issues.

Photo Credit: Contributed Photo]]>
<![CDATA[14 Things to Do Along Connecticut & Rhode Island's Coast]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 22:15:06 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/BOST_000000016073497.JPG

Thinking of going to Connecticut and Rhode Island, but still trying to figure out what to see?

We have you covered with some great places to check out along the coast this summer:

  1. Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Connecticut: It's like stepping back in time when you head to the Mystic Seaport. Check out some of the 60 historic buildings, and visit the largest maritime museum in the United States. Click here for more details.
  2. Inn at Stonington, Stonington, Connecticut: Located in Stonington, which traces its roots to the 17th century, the Inn at Stonington has historic touches blended with modern-day luxury living. Click here for more information.
  3. Blue Heaven Rentals, Mystic, Connecticut: Trying to find a new way to take in the sights? Take a trip around Mystic on the water! Check out Blue Heaven Rentals for their wide array of kayak and paddle board rentals. Click here for more information.
  4. Olde Mistick Village, Mystic, Connecticut: Home to some of Mystic's best restaurants and shopping, Olde Mistick Village was designed to look like a New England village around 1720. There's also a luxury cinema for those looking to have more modern fun. Click here for more.
  5. Mystic Pizza, Mystic, Connecticut: Sorry, we can't all hang out with Julia Roberts -- but you can at least have a slice at the famous Mystic Pizza restaurant. Click here for the full menu and address.
  6. Spicer Mansion, Mystic, Connecticut: Need a place to stay? Originally built in 1853, the Spicer Mansion in Mystic is a luxury boutique inn that opened in 2016 after extensive renovations. You better book early, though, because there are only eight guest rooms. Click here for more information.
  7. Ford's Lobster, Noank, Connecticut: It's not a New England vacation without lobstah! Ford's Lobster in Noank uses locally sourced ingredients, and offers mainly seafood dishes. Click here for a full menu.
  8. Fort Trumbull State Park, New London, Connecticut: Fort Trumbull is a unique state park. The fort itself was built between 1839 to 1852, and contains displays and markers, including a touchable cannon and gun emplacements. There's also a one-of-a-kind fishing pier. Click here for more.
  9. Outer Light Brewing Company, Groton, Connecticut: Unwind after a fun day of exploring with a trip to Groton's Outer Light Brewing Company. In addition to offering an ale, stout, an IPA and a double IPA, the brewery offers seasonal and experimental brews. Click here for more information.
  10. Stone House, Little Compton, Rhode Island: When you visit Little Compton, consider booking a room at the Stone House. It's located at Sakonnet Point, and has guestrooms in the main house and luxury suites in a renovated wood barn. Click here for more.
  11. South Shore Beach, Little Compton, Rhode Island: Hang out with the locals at South Shore Beach in Little Compton. There's waves for surfing, as well. Click here for more.
  12. Commons Lunch, Little Compton, Rhode Island: Hungry after your day at the beach? Head over to Commons Lunch, a family-style restaurant in Little Compton. But you better hurry! The doors close at 3 p.m. Click here for more information.
  13. Young Family Farm, Little Compton, Rhode Island: Head over to the Young Family Farm, where the Young family has been farming since 1997. Their retail stand opens in May, and offers flowers, fruits, vegetables and hosts an annual Apple Festival. Click here for more.
  14. Carolyn's Sakonnet Vineyards, Little Compton, Rhode Island: Enjoy some award-winning wines at Carolyn's Sakonnet Vineyard in Little Compton. The grapes are grown locally, enjoying unique maritime conditions, and are aged in French, Hungarian, Russian and American oak barrels. Click here for more information.

Photo Credit: necn]]>
<![CDATA[Mother, Child Struck by Car in Conn.]]>Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:45:00 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/SHANE-BIDWELL.jpg

A mother and a 2-year-old girl were struck by a car on Greentree Drive in Waterford around 4 p.m. Monday and the man accused of hitting them appeared in court Tuesday.

Police said the 30-year-old mother was pushing the child in a stroller when the crash occurred and the toddler was thrown around 25 feet from the stroller and onto the curb. Serious injuries were reported and they have since been released from the hospital.

The victims have not been identified.

The vehicle fled the scene, but two witnesses provided police with a description and officers found the suspect vehicle a short time later, police said.

The driver, identified as 27-year-old Shane Bidwell, was arrested and faces charges including DUI, assault with a motor vehicle, and evasion of responsibility in operation of a motor vehicle, among others.

Police reports say Bidwell told officers he'd had one beer around 2:30 p.m., after he got off work, and that he'd taken a klonopin a couple hours earlier and a suboxone in the morning, as prescribed.

Bidwell's attorney said his client has a history of substance abuse and mental health issues.

“He’s extremely remorseful. It’s a very difficult fact pattern but he’s extremely remorseful,” attorney Dean Golembeski said.

Bidwell was initially held on a $250,000 bond and appeared in court Tuesday, where bond was set at $200,000.

The Waterford Police Department Accident Investigation Team is investigating.

Bidwell is due back in court next month.

Photo Credit: Waterford Police Department]]>
<![CDATA[Driver Flees After Police Chase Through 3 Towns]]>Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:47:59 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Hartford+police+chase+fence.jpg

A police chase started in Hartford and went through Newington and New Britain before police called it off.

The incident started in Hartford at 7:23 a.m. when patrol officers saw a black 2016 Mercedes C230 behind 121 Martin St. back into a parking space with its headlights on. When police checked on the car, they determined it had been reported stolen.

The person in the driver’s seat was asleep and suddenly woke up, then backed up and hit a fence, police said.

Then he put the car in drive and hit one police cruiser twice, then struck another cruiser as he drove off, police said.

Officers chased the driver from Hartford to Newington and then to New Britain before ending the chase near Route 9 in New Britain.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[3 Firefighters Injured Fighting Apartment Fire in Hartford]]>Sun, 10 Jun 2018 11:38:29 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/marshallstreetfire.png

Dozens of people were forced from their homes after a fire at an apartment complex in Hartford on Saturday. 

According to officials, more than 50 firefighters were called to 232 Marshall Street around 7:20 p.m. for reports of a fire. 

After they arrived on scene, crews quickly called for a second alarm.

According to firefighters a second building in close proximity, 240 south Marshall Street, also caught fire. 

Three firefighters had to be taken to the hospital to be treated for exhaustion.

There is no word on what may have started the fire.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Son Confessed to Murdering His Mom in Hamden: Police]]>Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:54:56 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/215*120/HamdenMurderHouseWithMomAndSon.png

A 34-year-old man is facing murder charges after he confessed to killing his mom, Hamden police said on Sunday.

Officers started searching for 60-year-old Donna Tucker on Friday night after her sister, Denise Trofa, contacted police and said she had not heard from Tucker since Thursday.

According to authorities, investigators searched Donna’s Tucker’s home at 128 Broadway and found her personal belongings, but nothing else. Officers also searched a wooded area near her home.

After a thorough investigation, police said the case shifted from a missing person case to a murder investigation on Saturday night.

Officers said they found Donna's remains on her property and believe she died of blunt force trauma to the head before the missing person report was filed. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is expected to determine her exact cause of death. 

On Saturday afternoon, Donna's son, Kyle Tucker, confessed to police that he murdered his mom, officers said. He is being charged with murder and destruction of evidence and he is being held at Hamden Police Department on $5 million bond.

Police said they had been called to the Tuckers’ home on multiple other occasions when Kyle Tucker suffered from mental illness. Police said officers did not feel during any of those prior incidents that Kyle would harm his mother.

Kyle appeared in Meriden Superior Court on Monday, where a judge kept bond at $5 million.

The case has been transferred to New Haven Court and Kyle Tucker is due in court next on June 19.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police & NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Body Found in Long Island Sound ID'd as Missing Boater]]>Sat, 09 Jun 2018 11:03:43 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/coast-guard-groton-body.jpg

A body that was found in Long Island Sound Friday afternoon has been identified as a boater that went missing over Memorial Day weekend, according to the United States Coast Guard.

Officials said a person found the body, which has been identified as that of 21-year-old Spencer Mugford, around 12:19 p.m., around two and a half miles south-east of Avery Point, and reported it. Mugford's family has been notified.

Mugford and Sofia McKenna, 20, were last seen off the coast of Avery Point in Groton on Snapchat at 2 a.m. on May 27.

They were in a boat that had been donated to the UConn campus at Avery Point, Andrew Ely, of the U.S. Coast Guard, said during a news conference.

The Coast Guard, along with state and local agencies, searched 2,025 square-miles for 71 hours before suspending the search.

U.S. Coast Guard Commander Andrew Ely said search crews found a 14-foot white and blue sailboat with no mast on Truman Beach, near Greenport, New York on Monday afternoon. Ely said officials believe this is the vessel the pair was on when they went missing. The boat was empty when it was found.

McKenna remains missing.

A helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod in Massachusetts and a 45-foot Response Boat from Coast Guard Station New London launched and were part of the search. The Coast Guard brought in a fixed-wing plane to search. State police and DEEP also had boats in the water assisting with the search.

Coast Guard officials encourage everyone to wear a lifejacket when on the water. Ely also suggested bringing a marine radio rather than a cell phone because cell service is not guaranteed out on the water and phones might not work properly when wet.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Arrest Made After Missing Woman's Body Discovered]]>Fri, 08 Jun 2018 15:04:15 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Henry+Seebach+1200.jpg

Police have made an arrest in connection with the discovery of a woman’s body found buried in a field in Bloomfield in March. 

Elizabeth Rykhof has been reported missing to Bloomfield police on Sept. 22 and her remains were found buried in a wetland site at 182 Woodland Ave. six months later, according to police. 

Henry Seebach, 45, of Bloomfield, has been charged with violation of disposal of bodies. 

He was taken into custody and is being held on $100,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Bloomfield Police]]>
<![CDATA[Mass. Man Dies After Crash in Conn.]]>Fri, 08 Jun 2018 10:51:19 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Ambulance-Connecticut-Generic.jpg

A 74-year-old Massachusetts man has died after a crash in Salisbury Thursday night.

State police said Dominick Avellino, of Lee, Massachusetts, was driving north on Route 41, near Logan Road, when the 2009 Subaru Forrester he was driving went off the road and hit a tree around 6 p.m. Thursday.

Avellino was transported to Sharon Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to state police.

The crash is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Shooting Victim Dead After Crash in Conn.]]>Fri, 08 Jun 2018 10:45:31 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Fatal+shooting+Hamilton+Street+in+Hartford.jpg

The 34-year-old man who died after being shot in the back and crashing into a fence in Hartford early Thursday morning might have been a driver for the ride-sharing service, Lyft, police said, and they are looking into the possibility that he was shot while providing service.

Shotspotter detected six rounds on Brookfield Street at 2:42 a.m. and the victim, 34-year-old Miguel Perez, of Hartford, crashed around a block and a half away, at 19 Hamilton St., according to police.

Police said Perez was transported to Hartford Hospital, where he was and pronounced dead.

It appears Perez was targeted, according to police.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Body of Missing Kayaker Found Off Old Saybrook]]>Tue, 05 Jun 2018 21:05:07 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/BILLY-Z.jpg

The body of a missing kayaker was pulled from Long Island Sound, off of Old Saybrook, Tuesday according to the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

The victim, 18-year-old William Zadrozny, of Clinton, went missing on Memorial Day. His capsized kayak was found near the mouth of the Connecticut River later that day. A personal flotation device and fishing gear were found attached to the kayak, officials said.

“It sucks losing a brother and I hope no one ever has to go through this,” said friend Ivan Villanueva.

He said Zadrozny, known by many as Billy, was his gym buddy, his wingman and most importantly his brother. Villanueva was at Zadrozny’s home almost every day of senior year of high school.

Zadrozny loved to fish.

“Actually showed me how to throw my first cast. I visited that place not too long ago. Put some fireworks out for him,” Villanueva said.

Michael Brown said he’s seen Zadrozny fishing since he was 6 years old at Saybrook Point.

“He could barely reach over the fence,” Brown said. “But he insisted that he was fishing and he caught more fish than anybody else.”

The news hurts, Brown said.

“I came down (last) Tuesday and I didn’t know. I ran into his parents right here near the fence. I said, ‘What’s wrong?’ They said, ‘Billy’s missing.’ And I fell apart,” Brown said.

Classmates said Zadrozny was an athlete and played baseball and football.

“It was always entertaining because he would always have something to say and his favorite song was ‘Stand By Me.’ He would always play that,” said former classmate Karla Rivadeneira.

While she didn’t know him too well she described Zadrozny as funny and had a personality that was almost indescribable.

“It’s so devastating that this happened to him and I know at least he was doing something that he loved,” Rivadeneira said.

“I know he’s up there catching 100-pound, 1,000-pound bass with the big man,” Villanueva said.

Photo Credit: Contributed Photos]]>
<![CDATA[6,000 Gallons of Liquid Manure Fall Off Truck in Conn.]]>Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:23:51 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Ellington-manure-spill.jpg

Around 6,000 gallons of liquid manure fell off a tractor-trailer in Ellington this morning and rolled over into a field along Frog Hollow Road, according to Tolland County 911.

They said around 3,000 gallons of manure and 10 to 15 gallons of diesel fuel leaked. Crews from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said the department helped oversee the cleanup efforts.

State police said the incident happened on Frog Hollow Road, near Crane and Chamberlain roads.

The road was closed, but has reopened.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[PD: Driver Ran School Bus Stop Signal, Struck 7-Year-Old Boy]]>Wed, 06 Jun 2018 05:11:01 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Waterbury+hit+and+run+surveillance.JPG

A 7-year-old boy was injured in a hit-and-run crash in Waterbury Monday, and police are searching for the driver who struck him while the child was crossing the street to get on a school bus. On Tuesday, police released surveillance video and warned that it might be disturbing because it shows the moment the child was injured.

Police said the crash happened just after 8 a.m. at the intersection of North Main and Elizabeth streets.

According to police, a light-colored Nissan four-door sedan from the 2000s that ran through the stop signal as a Durham school bus stopped hit the 7-year-old boy as he was crossing the street.

The boy was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital and his injuries are not life-threatening.

Family identified the boy as Ni'vek Bynum and said he suffered a concussion but is out of the hospital.

Vanessa Cardoza, the boy's grandmother, said he is sore and bruised, but recovering.

"Whoever hit my grandson and kept going that's wrong, he's a baby, he's 7 years old," she said. "You could have took his life."

She said she wants the driver to take responsibility.

"They could do it to someone else's child. And next time god forbid it could be worse.

Durham School Services released the following statement on the situation:

"Our thoughts are with our young student and his family. Motorists passing a stop arm is of great concern. We are working with authorities to resolve this incident and to prevent this from happening in the future."

The crash remains under investigation. Anyone with information, or who recognizes the vehicle in the photo, should contact Waterbury police at 203- 574-6941 or Crime Stoppers at 203-755-1234.

Photo Credit: Waterbury Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Vandals Spray-Paint Swastikas at Conn. State Park]]>Mon, 04 Jun 2018 23:36:10 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/LAKE-WILLIAMS-VANDALISM-BLURRED.jpg

The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is searching for vandals who spray-painted swastikas and other graffiti on trees and the ground at Lake Williams State Park Scenic Reserve in Lebanon.

DEEP officials said the vandalism happened sometime over the weekend. State Environmental Conversation Police are investigating.

“Our state parks are meant for the enjoyment of all, regardless of a person’s background,” said DEEP Communications Director Chris Collibee in a statement. “Acts of vandalism, in particular those that express hate, have no place in our society. It is disappointing that some individuals would express themselves in such a manner that causes fear amongst others.”

Anyone with information on the vandalism is asked to contact EnCon police at 860-424-3333.

Photo Credit: Department of Energy and Environmental Protection]]>
<![CDATA[Staff With Microphone Stand Led to Report of Gun at Conn. College]]>Mon, 04 Jun 2018 18:03:36 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/WCSU-Western-gun-report.jpg

Danbury police and state police responded to Western Connecticut State University to investigate reports of a person with a gun, but school officials said it turned out to be an employee with a microphone stand and the scene is clear.

Officials from WCSU said there was a report of a person with a gun at White Hall on the Midtown campus and many people were evacuated while others were told to shelter in place in the building and throughout the campus.

Crews on the WCSU campus did a floor-by-floor search of the building and apprehended someone, but that person did not have a weapon and did not match the description provided, school officials said, and they continued to search.

Officials said the alleged gun carrier was actually a university employee who was preparing to provide audio and media support for a campus graduation. He was never taken into custody.

Mayor Mark Boughton said although the incident was a false alarm, officials are grateful to the people who reported their concerns.

"You can never be cautious enough. At the end of the day, if we didn’t take the appropriate precautions, if this was part of a larger plan to disrupt our school system and hurt our children, people would criticize us for not doing enough," Boughton said.

The mayor added that the man was interviewed and then released once the situation was explained.

"He even readily admits look it looks like a gun. I can see how this could have happened. He passed the two other instructors going in. He had sunglasses on. They didn’t realize he was an instructor," Boughton said.

Several public schools in Danbury were placed on lockdown.  Those schools include Broadview Middle School, Alternative Center For Excellence, Ellsworth Avenue School, Hayestown Elementary School, Adult Education Program and the Sites and Facilities Building, according to Danbury's deputy school superintendent, Dr. William Glass.

All other schools were in a "shelter in place" mode, Glass said.

State police were also called in.

The all-clear was given at 2:05 p.m. and the school has returned to regular operations.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Police Search for Person of Interest in East Windsor Assault]]>Sun, 03 Jun 2018 17:09:34 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/East+Windsor+Police+generic+1200.jpg

East Windsor police are searching for a person of interest after an assault on Saturday morning.

According to police, one female cut another female on the face and chest with what was described as a box cutter on North Road around 8:00 a.m. The victim was transported to the hospital for treatment of her injuries.

Officers identified 32-year-old Nefertiti Walker as a person of interest. They say she resides in the Broad Brook section of town, but has fled her residence and her place of employment.

The East Windsor Police Department says they are looking to speak with her about the assault.

She was last seen leaving the scene in a grey 2004 Mercedes E500 with Connecticut license plate AN46384 with an unknown man.

If you know where Walker may be, you're encouraged to contact police at (860) 292-8240.

Officers say this was not a random act of violence and the two people involved know each other.

<![CDATA[Suspect in Death of Southington Woman is Dead: Police ]]>Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:25:23 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/160*120/SouthingtonUntimelyDeath.jpg

Southington police are investigating the shooting death of a woman Sunday morning and they said the suspect, her ex-boyfriend, has died a day after shooting himself outside the Naugatuck Police Department.

Officers responded to a house on Manor Road in Southington at 6:01 a.m. to conduct a welfare check and found 41-year-old Michelle Barrett in the backyard.

She had been shot and was pronounced dead, according to police, and her death is being investigated as a homicide.

Police said the suspect, 40-year-old Robert DeSantis, of Naugatuck, went to the Naugatuck Police Department where he shot himself in a vehicle in the parking lot.

He was taken to an area medical center, where he died at 1:30 p.m. Monday, according to police.

DeSantis confessed to a family member that he had shot Barrett, according to Southington police.

Investigators initially thought the shooting happened in Naugatuck, but no victims were found there and Naugatuck police then reached out to Southington police, who located Barrett. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is conducting an autopsy.

Police said Barrett was the mother of teens and lived in the Southington home with her grandmother, who was sleeping at the time of the shooting.

DeSantis had children who are in their 20s, according to police. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[11-Year-Old Fights Off Kidnapper During Car Theft in Hartford]]>Sun, 03 Jun 2018 10:18:32 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/hartfordkidnappingwithmug.jpg

A Hartford man is facing charges that include kidnapping after he tried to steal a car with a child inside on Saturday morning, according to police.

Officers say they were called to McDonald's on Albany Avenue around 8:20 a.m. for reports of a kidnapping and a stolen vehicle. Investigators later learned that an 11-year-old boy was sitting in a running car while he waited for his father to return from the restaurant when 44-year-old Edward Asberry of Hartford jumped into the driver's seat and drove off.

Once the child realized it wasn't his father driving, police say the child physically assaulted Asberry. Asberry then stopped the car, took a book bag from inside and ran away, officers say.

Witnesses were able to help police with Asberry's identity, description and direction of travel. Officers were then able to arrest him at the intersection of Garden and Mather Streets.

The car was then returned back to the boy's father, police say.

Asberry is now facing kidnapping, larceny and risk of injury to a minor charges.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut / Hartford Police]]>
<![CDATA[Suspect Cuts Through Funeral While Fleeing Troopers: CSP]]>Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:36:38 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/BART-DONNELLY.jpg

Police arrested a man accused of assault after a chase that cut through a funeral ceremony Friday.

Connecticut State Police said 44-year-old Bart Donnelly faces charges of third-degree assault, breach of peace, interfering with investigation, and disruption of a funeral after an incident in Danielson Friday.

According to police, around 6:30 p.m. a citizen flagged down an off-duty trooper in his cruiser and reported an assault in Davis Park. The off-duty trooper responded, but the suspect fled. The trooper provided a description of the suspect to Troop D and more units responded.

The Killingly Resident State Trooper and Troop D troopers began searching for the suspect, identified as Donnelly. When troopers spotted Donnelly he fled, rushing through a funeral ceremony as police gave chase, police said.

Police captured Donnelley on Academy Street and took him into custody. He was held on a $3,000 bond.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police]]>
<![CDATA[Body Found at Plainville High School: Police]]>Sun, 03 Jun 2018 08:14:24 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/160*120/Plainville_UntimelyDeath.jpg

Officers are investigating after a body was found outside of Plainville High School on Saturday afternoon.

Someone walking on the track saw the body near the bleachers around 1:15 p.m. and called 911, according to police.

The death does not appear to be criminal in nature, investigators say. Officers are waiting on an autopsy to determine the person's cause of death. 

Police have not released the person's identity, but officials say it is an adult female who is not school aged.

If you have any information that could help officers with their investigation, you're asked to call (860) 747-1616. 

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut]]>
<![CDATA[Shooting of One Woman, Murder of Another in Conn. Might Be Connected]]>Fri, 01 Jun 2018 23:24:11 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Tramaine+Marquese+Poole.jpg

US Marshals are offering a cash reward for information on the whereabouts of a New Haven man wanted in connection with the murder of a woman in New Haven on Thursday and accused of shooting his wife earlier this month. 

Investigators said 41-year-old Tramaine Marquese Poole is wanted for questioning in the shooting death of a 28-year-old woman.

Police responded to Wilmot Road, at Wintergreen Avenue, at 10:16 p.m. to investigate reports of a shooting and found the victim in her vehicle. Her two children, ages 6 and 11, were in the car with her.

The woman was shot at the intersection, police said, and they believe she was targeted. Police have not identified the woman to protect her children.

Poole is also accused of shooting his 36-year-old wife earlier this month. According to police, at 2:20 p.m. Monday, May 7, a New Haven woman called police as she was being driven to the hospital that her husband, identified as Poole, had shot her on Henry Street.

Police are investigating the two cases and said they have an active arrest warrant for Pool the May 7 shooting, charging him with first-degree assault, risk of injury, criminal possession of a firearm, carrying a pistol without a permit and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

The US Marshals Violent Fugitive Task Force is assiting New Haven police in locating Poole and is offering a $5,000 cash reward for information that leads to his arrest.

Poole is 5-foot-11, 160 pounds, with short black hair. He has tattoos on both arms and might be wearing a disguise, including a dreadlock wig.

He should be considered armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information on Poole or his whereabouts should call police. at 203-946-6316 or Text-A-Tip. Text “NHPD plus your message” to 274637 (CRIMES) Calls may be made anonymously.

Photo Credit: New Haven Police]]>
<![CDATA[New Haven Shooting Suspect May be Tied to Homicide]]>Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:52:43 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/woman+murdered+in+car+on+Wilmot+Road+in+New+Haven.jpg

A 28-year-old woman was shot and killed in front of her children in a car in New Haven Thursday night, and US Marshals are offering a cash reward for information on a man wanted for questioning in connection with the case.

Police said this case might be connected to the shooting of another woman on May 7.

Officers responded to Wilmot Road, near Wintergreen Avenue, at 10:16 p.m. to investigate a shooting and found the woman dead. Police said she was in her car with her 6-year-old child and her 11-year-old child at the intersection when she was shot and investigators believe she was targeted.

Police have not identified who she is to protect her children. The shooter is at large.

Investigators said 41-year-old Tramaine Marquese Poole, of New Haven, is wanted for questioning. US Marshals are assisting New Haven police with the case and offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to Poole's arrest.

Police said the murder might be connected to a shooting Monday on Henry Street. The victim, a 36-year-old New Haven woman, called police and said her husband, identified as Poole, shot her. 

Detectives from the New Haven Police Department’s Major Crimes Division and Bureau of Identification are investigating.

Witnesses are asked to call police at 203-946-6316 or Text-A-Tip by texting “NHPD” plus your message to 274637.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com]]>
<![CDATA[Man Shot at Home With Kids Inside; Killed Dog: Police]]>Thu, 31 May 2018 15:50:14 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/211*120/Coventry+domestic+and+Connecticut+State+Police.jpg

A man who is accused of shooting at a Coventry home while children were inside and killing a dog was arrested after a police chase that ended in Vernon, according to police.

The investigation started a just before 7:30 p.m. Thursday when a woman called police to report a domestic assault on High Street.

She said she had taken her children and drove to a friend’s home on Flanders Road, police said, and the dispatcher told the woman to go straight to police headquarters.

At 7:48 p.m., police received a call from the victim’s friend, according to a news release from police. She said she was watching her friend’s children and someone outside was shooting at her house and trying to kick in the door.

The woman, who told authorities she was hiding in a bathroom with the children, provided police with the name of the person she thought was firing the shots and a description of his 2011 Chevy Silverado.

Police responded, but the shooter was gone. A witness reported hearing around 20 gunshots.

No people were injured, but a dog inside the house was shot and was later euthanized because of the injuries, according to Coventry police.

As police searched for a suspect, local police departments were alerted and a truck matching the description provided was seen on Route 32 in Willington.

A UConn officer tried to stop the driver, but he kept going, driving at speeds over 90 miles per hour, according to state police.

As the driver approached Interstate 84, state police used stop sticks, which flattened a wheel, but the driver kept going and entered Tolland, going 85 to 90 miles per hour until stopping at exit 66 in Vernon, according to state police.

Police took 36-year-old Daniel Ballard, of Coventry, into custody and arrested him. He was charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, criminal attempt to commit home invasion, criminal attempt to commit burglary in the first-degree, reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a minor, and unlawful discharge of a firearm in the domestic violence incident.

He also faces charges including reckless driving and engaging police in a pursuit in connection with the chase. He is being held on a combined $1.025 million bond.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com and Connecticut State Police ]]>