<![CDATA[NECN - ]]>Copyright 2018https://www.necn.com/feature/massachusettshttp://media.necn.com/designimages/clear.gifNECNhttps://www.necn.comen-usWed, 20 Jun 2018 23:03:47 -0400Wed, 20 Jun 2018 23:03:47 -0400NBC Owned Television Stations<![CDATA[Man Facing OUI Charge After Car Dealership Commotion]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 19:22:47 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Man_Charged_After_Car_Dealership_Commotion.jpg

A trip to a Rte. 9 dealership, where a Framingham man had recently purchased his car, landed him in handcuffs after police say he was behind the wheel drunk.

Dushanthan Suntharampillai, 30, is known to the employees at Herb Connolly Chevrolet in Framingham. They said he has come back to drop off juice from his business as a way to say thank you for helping him with his purchase.

Employees thought he was coming in to deliver more juice Monday, but said instead he was acting strangely. They said Suntharampillai hit a used car on their lot and was behaving erratically in their showroom.

“He was like, ‘Oh I want to buy this car, I want to buy this car,’ and we were like ‘No, get out of the car. Police are coming,’” sales associate Lange Thigpen said “You can’t just hit a car and act like nothing happened.”

One witness recorded Suntharampillai’s interaction with police at the dealership on a cell phone. According to a police report from Framingham Police, Suntharampillai failed several field sobriety tests, made sexual slurs to an officer and is accused of kicking an officer during booking.

He is facing a number of charges including operating under the influence, assault and battery on a police officer and driving without a license.

NBC Boston reached Suntharampillai by phone Wednesday. He said his behavior may have something to do with the medication he is taking. He is out on personal recognizance and said he is considering dropping off more juice at the dealership to say sorry.

<![CDATA[Bridgewater Woman Attacked While Running Speaks Out]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:43:41 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Woman_Attacked_While_Running_Speaks_Out.jpg

A Bridgewater, Massachusetts woman is speaking out just a few days after she fought off the man who allegedly sexually assaulted her and tried to abduct her.

“There was a lot of… this isn’t happening, this isn’t happening. Then when I….. I think the moment that he actually grabbed me was when I kind of had to be like…ok this is actually happening. And I just kind of like, this is not how my story ends. I, I am not going to let this happen. And then just, what do I have to do… to be ok.”

The 37-year-old jogger not only fought back but also took a photo of the suspect's car that eventually led to his arrest.

Gordon Lyons, 57, of Bridgewater, hid his face as he was arraigned Tuesday on charges of kidnapping and indecent assault and battery.

But prosecutors said this is not the first time Lyons has faced charges of violently sexually assaulting someone.

Prosecutor David Cutshall said, “The defendant is a convicted rapist as of 1978 on a Barnstable Superior Court charge of rape.”

NBC10 Boston dug into the records at Barnstable Superior Court and found that is not true.

Lyons was accused of rape in Provincetown in June of 1978, when he was just 17. 

He was found not competent to stand trial and was committed to Bridgewater State Hospital.

But in 1984, a judge found him “not guilty by reason of insanity.”

Court records show Lyons then spent a mere six months at Bridgewater State Hospital after he was deemed not guilty by reason of insanity.

It’s unclear whether he was committed elsewhere after that because at that point the case went from criminal to civil, limiting public access to those records.

<![CDATA[Classroom on Wheels? Driver Cited for Overloaded Truck]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:07:30 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/truck213.jpg

Imagine driving down the highway and seeing an entire classroom worth of furniture alongside you.

That's pretty much what happened Wednesday in Springfield, Massachusetts.

State police shared several photos on Facebook of a pickup truck they pulled over on Interstate 91 for exceeding the limit for what you can safely carry in a vehicle. The pickup was filled with what looked like several file cabinets, more than a dozen chairs, a desk and more.

The driver was cited for violating Massachusetts laws governing unsecured and uncovered loads.

"Please remember, when traveling with a load in a vehicle, take a look at it and before taking to the roads, ask yourself, 'What could go wrong?'" state police said.

Photo Credit: Massachusetts State Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[Coast Guard: 'Billions' Wasted in Unmanned Kayak Reports]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 19:31:00 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Coast_Guard_Empty_Kayak_Reports_Are_Costly.jpg

Kayak owners around New England are being asked by the U.S. Coast Guard to do their part in helping with unmanned kayak reports and preventing costly searches.

The most recent case was just last week when a kayak was found empty and drifting in Cape Cod Bay.

"Since January, we've had a lot of unmanned kayak and adrift kayak cases in New England," said Petty Officer Nicole Groll of the United States Coast Guard. "And by a lot, we're talking about 60 cases.”

According to Groll, that number is only going to rise as summer starts.

Each case reported receives a response as if someone was missing in the water, even if that's not the case.

The Coast Guard estimates a team on the water costs $113,000 per hour.

Adding in the crew on land, Groll said they are wasting billions in taxpayer dollars when it turns out no one was missing at all.

On patrol of the harbor off Gloucester, Massachusetts, Coast Guard crews are going over safety protocol with paddlers.

In some cases, kayak owners are putting their vessels too close to where the tides and when the water comes up, they are washed away.

Then the call comes in for an unmanned kayak.

Coast Guard teams are now traveling to local boat ramps and meeting paddlers on the water to hand out "If Found" stickers where owners can fill out their contact information to put on their kayak or paddle board.

It's an issue that's happening as local as Rhode Island and as far away as Hawaii.

"Even if you don't have an "If Found" sticker, grab a permanent marker, bare minimum write your phone number on it," said Groll. "Cover it in clear tape."

According to Groll, in New England, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire lead the way with the most reports.

<![CDATA[Students Launch Weather Balloon for Science Experiment]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:03:52 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Students_Launch_Weather_Balloon_for_Science.jpg

For the second year in a row, students at Nipmuc Regional High School in Upton launched a weather balloon loaded with scientific equipment high into the sky over Central Massachusetts.

This year’s balloon is twice as large as the balloon launched last year, and carried a mini-computer thousands of feet into the sky. The computer was programed to measure things like air temperature and pressure every few seconds.

This week the launch site was moved from Upton, near the school, to Dudley due to upper-level winds. By moving the launch site west, and tweaking the amount of helium in the balloon, students hope to watch the balloon come down over land as opposed to in the ocean. That would allow them to best study the onboard instruments.

A camera is also on board, to hopefully provide stunning images of the atmosphere.

<![CDATA[MBTA Employee Arrested for Stealing $80K in Bus Fare Money]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:48:14 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/mbta22.jpg

An MBTA employee has been charged with stealing more than $80,000 from the agency's fare collection boxes.

Stephen P. Fagerberg, 55, of Dedham, was arrested Tuesday night as a result of a joint operation by Massachusetts State Police, the attorney general's office and Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Police.

As an automated fare technician at the MBTA, the attorney general's office said Fagerberg was responsible for repairing fare collection boxes on MBTA buses in South Boston.

The attorney general's office began investigating Fagerberg in April of 2018. He allegedly stole the money from the MBTA over several months.

Police conducted an undercover operation that involved planting unmarked bills in fare collection boxes that Fagerberg serviced. Authorities said he deposited the marked bills into his personal bank account via a drive-up ATM.

Fagerberg was arraigned Wednesday morning in Roxbury District Court on one count of larceny over $1,200 in a continuous scheme. He pleaded not guilty and was released on personal recognizance bail on the conditions that he surrender his passport and stay away from MBTA property.

He is scheduled to return to court on Aug. 14 for a probable cause hearing.

Photo Credit: MBTA Transit Police]]>
<![CDATA[No Injuries After Small Airplane Goes Off Runway, Into Woods]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:51:14 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/212*120/Newburyport+MA+Plum+Island+Airport+crash+Colin+Beatt+062018.jpg

No one was injured when a small plane went off of a Newburyport, Massachusetts, runway Wednesday.

The pilot was able to self-extricate from a single-engine AMD Alarus CH2000 after it went off the runway and into the woods adjacent to Plum Island Airport while landing, a Newburyport police spokesperson said.

The aircraft is registered to the Bald Eagle Flying Club out of Yarmouth, Maine.

The name of the pilot was not released.

Federal Aviation Administration officials will investigate the incident.

Photo Credit: Colin Beatt]]>
<![CDATA[Target Hiring Up to 75 People for Upcoming Store in Medford]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:19:50 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/GettyImages-853799670.jpg

Prep your resumes and assemble your best interview-ready outfit because Target is hiring up to 75 people for its upcoming store in Medford.

The small-format store will host a job fair from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. beginning June 21 through June 23 at the Holiday Inn in Somerville.

Interested candidates are asked to apply online in advance. Those who are unable to apply online can do so in person during the job fair. On-site interviews will be offered to qualified candidates.

Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Stormy Daniels to Appear at 2 New England Strip Clubs]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:27:04 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/STORMYGettyImages-961907606WEB.jpg

Adult film star Stormy Daniels who alleges to have had an affair with then candidate Donald Trump in 2006 will be performing at two New England strip clubs this week.

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, is scheduled to appear at two shows at the Mardi Gras in Springfield, Massachusetts, on June 22.

She's also scheduled to appear at two shows at the Mardi Gras II in East Windsor, Connecticut, on June 23.

According to the Springfield Republican, a Connecticut show is sold-out and limited tickets are available for the Springfield performances.

Daniels has been fighting to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement she signed days before the 2016 election.

Rudy Giuliani, one of President Trump's attorneys, claims Daniels isn't credible and has "no reputation" because she's a porn actress.

Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Police: Man Involved in Separate Crashes Needed Narcan]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 09:04:18 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Blackstone+head+on+crash.JPG

A Rhode Island man is facing multiple charges in connection with separate crashes in Blackstone, Massachusetts, late Tuesday night.

William Halfelder, 59, of Woonsocket, is facing charges operating under the influence of drugs, operating under the influence of liquor (fourth offense), leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop, and failure to drive in the right lane.

Blackstone police said officers were called to the area of 97 Main St. at about 9:45 p.m. for a report of a crash.

When officers arrived, Halfelder was outside of his Dodge van, bleeding from his nose and head.

Police determined that Halfelder had been administered the overdose-reversing drug Narcan. He was taken to Milford Hospital, where his exact condition is unclear.

Witnesses at the scene told police Halfelder had been driving down Main Street while allegedly swerving. When he got to the intersection of Main and St. Paul streets, he allegedly struck a vehicle from behind that was stopped at a red light.

Halfelder then allegedly drove around the vehicle he struck, continued through a red light and drove in the opposite lane of travel.

A short distance later, police said he struck another vehicle head-on, pushing it into a driveway.

The driver of that vehicle was also taken to a local hospital with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.

A further investigation revealed that Halfelder allegedly struck other vehicles in nearby Woonsocket before entering Blackstone.

The crashes remain under investigation.

Halfelder was issued a summons to appear in court for arraignment at a later date. It's unclear if he has an attorney.

<![CDATA[Protesters at State House: 'Immigrants Are Welcome Here']]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 19:21:17 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/160*120/DgJd9flUwAAtP4R.jpg

Chanting "No hate, no fear, immigrants are welcome here," protesters gathered at the Massachusetts State House in Boston to rally against the Trump administration's immigration policy.

For Anne-Marie Badua, this issue hits close to home. She was born in Romania to a refugee woman who had escaped communism.

"It's a big deal for any parent to leave their children," Badua said. "Something's happening that's forcing them to do that."

The debate about immigrants and the "zero tolerance" policy makes her emotional.

"Just can't imagine what the wmoen at the border have gone through and what their children have gone through," she said.

Many children attended the rally as well and expressed their concern with the immigration policy.

"I feel like if they're going to separate their families, their kids should at least come with them," said one child participating in the rally. "You can't just separate a kid and leave them that vulnerable."

During the rally, news broke that President Donald Trump would issue an executive order ending the separation of families by detaining parents and children together, but it did not bring an end to the event.

"Too little too late," said one protester. "This administration has already committed reprehensible crimes that I think are fundamentally un-American. Even getting to this point is a horrible development and we need to be pushing back."

The debate over the separation of families at the border arrived at the State House on Wednesday afternoon as an estimated 2,000 people gathered in opposition to the White House's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, which included a provision to allow immigrant children to be housed in camps, away from their parents.

The protesters demanded increased protections for undocumented immigrants during Wednesday's rally.

One of the speakers at the rally described fleeing her native country for her safety and had to wait 28 years in the United States to finally become a naturalized citizen.

"We need to stop separating our families," she told the crowd. "We're asking our legislators to just pass four amendments in order for them to show that they want to protect our families in the state of Massachusetts."

Another speaker said, "Today in our Commonwealth, our legislators have refused to pass even one small provision to protect immigrants."

She asked the crowd, "Is that acceptable?" and the answer was a resounding, "No!"

Protesters held signs that read "Families Belong Together" and "History is Watching."

The gathering temporarily shut down Beacon Street before the demonstrators funneled into the building, gathering in front of the House chamber chanting "the people united will never be divided" in English and Spanish.

Organizers, including the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, said they want to call attention to the family separations as well as to urge Massachusetts lawmakers to approve protections for immigrants.

Once inside the State House, the protesters stood outside of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker's office and chanted "We want Baker! We want Baker! We want Baker!"

Gov. Baker announced Monday that he would not send state National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border due to the president’s stance on separating families.

President Trump signed an executive order later Wednesday ending the practice of separating families but said the "zero-tolerance" policy will continue.

<![CDATA[Shuttle Buses Replace Red Line Service Due to Power Problem]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 05:29:53 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/Red+line5.png

Shuttle buses have temporarily replaced Red Line service on the MBTA between the North Quincy and JFK/UMass stations due to a power problem, according to MBTA officials.

Customers are being encouraged to use the Commuter Rail from Braintree and Quincy Center to South Station.

Authorities said a track maintenance vehicle derailed earlier this morning on the southbound side which caused the delays. That equipment has been removed but MBTA crews are still on the scene working.

Service is expected to resume at about 6 a.m.

<![CDATA[15-Year-Old Facing Charges Following 100+ MPH Police Pursuit]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:09:52 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/215*120/foxboro.jpg

A 15-year-old boy is facing criminal charges after leading police on a chase at speeds in excess of 100 mph through several Massachusetts towns early Wednesday morning.

Massachusetts State Police said the incident began around 2:45 a.m. when the cruiser of a trooper who was stopped at a crash on Interstate 495 north in Raynham was nearly hit by a passing car. The trooper then initiated a pursuit, attempting to stop the vehicle.

The suspect's vehicle, a 2007 Honda Accord, exited I-495 in Mansfield, while still speeding. The chase continued onto Chauncey Street in Mansfield and into an industrial park before turning onto Green Street around 2:50 a.m. At that time, police said they terminated the chase.

Several minutes later, state troopers and Foxborough police responded to a report of a motor vehicle crash on Cedar Street. Responding officers found that the Accord that had been involved in the police chase had crashed into a utility pole, splitting the vehicle in half.

"He told me, he told police, too, I stole my mom's car. I'm only 15," said a neighbor who didn't want to be identified on camera.

He says the driver was in his yard screaming for help.

"My back, help me, help me," the man recalled hearing the boy yell.

The driver, a 15-year-old boy from Stoughton, was taken into custody and transported to Boston Medical Center with what police described as "non-incapacitating injuries." Police said they recovered a handgun at the scene.

Neighbors said they were shocked to learn the teen survived after hearing the crash and seeing the aftermath.

"Just a big boom, a big flash of light," neighbor Paul Turner said.

"It was like thunder, like thunder happened right next to you," Foxborough resident Steve Anderson said.

"The front of his car was in our yard, but the back end of the car was in our neighbor's yard," one woman said.

"Just look at the car itself, completely destroyed," Turner added. "How he ever survived. Must have someone up in heaven."

The teen will face criminal charges, police said, but it's unclear what those charges might be. The suspect's name is not being released because he is a juvenile. It wasn't immediately clear if the boy has an attorney.

Photo Credit: NBC10 Boston]]>
<![CDATA[1st Mass. Recreational Pot License Could Be Awarded Thursday]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 09:32:34 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/First_Recreational_Marijuana_License_Could_Be_Awarded.jpg

Legalized sales of recreational marijuana in Massachusetts could take a big step forward this week.

The Cannabis Control Commission will be voting whether to award the first license.

It would go to Sira Naturals--which is listed on this week’s agenda that posted Tuesday--to grow pot for recreational use.

“It is a big deal,” said Mike Dundas, CEO of Sira Naturals, which operates three medical marijuana dispensaries in greater Boston.

If the company wins approval, it will soon be growing marijuana for recreational use at its sprawling facility in Milford.

The license would allow Sira Naturals to grow marijuana to be used in recreational products like edibles and oils, but not sell it.

“So we would not be able to turn around the next day and start selling recreational cannabis out of any of our shops,” said Dundas.

That’s because no licenses have been granted yet to any retail pot shops.

But that’s coming.

July 1 is when sales become legal, and Dundas believes the Cannabis Control Commission will start awarding retail licenses soon.

“It seems like a small handful of licenses will be given out for retail locations in the month of July and I think we’ll see a controlled roll out as the months go by,” said Dundas.

It’s unknown exactly when any retail pot shops will get actually get a license to sell.

The Cannabis Control Commission will meet on Thursday to vote on the cultivation license for Sira Naturals. 

<![CDATA[Jogger Assault Suspect Faces Judge From Hospital Bed]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:53:48 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/212*120/jogger+assault+suspect.JPG

A Bridgewater man accused of sexually assaulting and trying to abduct a jogger over the weekend, in an attack captured by surveillance video, faced a judge Tuesday from his Boston Medical Center hospital bed.

Gordon Lyons, 57, was allowed to hide his face behind a hospital bed sheet as he was arraigned on charges of kidnapping, indecent assault and battery.

Prosecutor David Cutshall said, “The female victim stated that she was jogging on the sidewalk traveling west when a man pulled to the side of the road, ran toward her, attacked her and tried to pull her towards his vehicle….and that the male also grabbed her left breast.”

The 37-year-old woman was able to kick and scream and get away, as a neighbor scared the suspect off.

But not before she got a photo of his distinctive orange Hyundai Sante Fe.

Lyons was eventually arrested after crashing into another car on Route 24.

Prosecutors say this is not the first time Lyons has faced charges of violently sexually assaulting someone.

Cutshall said, “The defendant is a convicted rapist as of 1978 on a Barnstable Superior Court charge of rape.”

Lyons’ defense attorney says her client has already undergone a psychiatric evaluation.

Defense attorney Shannon Heingardner said, “Based on my conversations with him I have some concerns about his competency.”

Lyons is being held without bail and will likely undergo further mental health evaluations once he’s released from the hospital.

Bridgewater police are asking anyone with any information about this crime, or any other similar crimes involving Lyons to call them at 508-697-0914.

<![CDATA['Must Be a Rampage': 20 Cars Vandalized Overnight]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:26:04 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/randolph+vandalism.JPG

Police are looking for whoever is responsible for a path of damage that left car owners in Randolph scrambling Tuesday.

Twenty 20 cars were vandalized overnight, and police say the vehicles were chosen at random.

The crime scene stretched a mile. Block after block in Randolph, cars in driveways were covered in black spray paint.

"I'm angry," said Bonnie Smith of Randolph, whose car was one of the 20 vandalized.

Smith's husband didn't realize they were hit until he saw a police officer out front.

"This is a nice, nice neighborhood," Frank Smith said. "We keep our property up and then this. It kind of deflates you a little bit."

Wykyim Whitaker's mom now has a swastika on the trunk of her car.

"I think when you live in a community like Randolph, which is a very good community, us as a community has to find out who did this," said Whitaker.

Police said cars were either keyed or spray painted on North Street, Liberty Place, Vesey Road, Beverly Circle, and McDevitt Road.

The reports of vandalism started coming into the police station just before 6 a.m.

One car has "666" painted on the hood.

"It happened to more than one place, so there must be a rampage or something," said Roger Carmin of Randolph. His cars were both keyed and painted.

Calvin Miller was able to get the paint off his car after using oven cleaner. He said he didn't want to have to pay an insurance deductible.

"Last year it was tires," said Miller. "Someone punctured tired with ice picks and this year it's spray paint."

Police have not released a suspect description.

<![CDATA[Family Upset School Wouldn't Allow Pink Flamingo Tribute]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:56:45 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Flamingos_Not_Welcome_at_School_Ceremony.jpg

The family of two siblings killed in a tragic accident in Franklin has questions after they say a school refused to allow a fundraising tribute on graduation day.

Eight-year-old Lexi and 7-year-old Sean Munroe were found dead in 2014, after the siblings became trapped in a hope chest. The family has given out a scholarship in their names every year since and recently came up with a new fundraising idea that involves pink lawn flamingos.

Anyone can pay to have the flock of flamingos pay a visit, and they stay for 48 hours. The money raised goes to the scholarship. However, the family says when it came to having the flamingos visit Davis Thayer Elementary on the day Sean Munroe would have graduated fifth-grade, the school told them no.

“They felt the kids would be traumatized,” the children’s aunt, Kristin Williams said. “I think they were afraid it would make the kids sad, but I don’t know, they don’t look sad to me.”

Instead, Williams said she was sad to learn the 38 graduation cap wearing flamingos, one to represent each child including Sean, could only be outside the school the day before the graduation ceremony. On Tuesday, the flock was gone.

"To have them not be a part of it, I just don’t understand that,” Williams said.

NBC10 Boston spoke with the superintendent and principal off camera Tuesday, but they did not wish to comment on the story.

Another parent said she, too, did not understand the decision to have the flamingos taken down.

“It’s upsetting,” Stacey Grimm said. “I would have let them stay, absolutely. We have to support each other.”

The family says the support will keep them going and the flamingos flocking to wherever they are welcome. They did attend Tuesday’s graduation and said they are thankful to the fifth-grade parents who presented them with a check for the scholarship fund after the ceremony.

Click here if you want to learn more about the fundraiser.

<![CDATA[History of Complaints at Building That Partially Collapsed]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:52:31 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Partial_Building_Collapse_on_Boylston_Street.jpg

A building partially collapsed in Boston on Tuesday afternoon, and our NBC10 Boston Investigators found the property has a long and troubled history.

Boston Fire Department responded to the rear of 392 Boylston Street where they found plywood and brick had come down from the 4-story building that is under construction.

No one was inside at the time, and there were no injuries. Firefighters did evacuate people from the Globe restaurant next door as a precaution, and the city’s inspectional services department responded to investigate the wall failure.

This is the same building where brick crumbled off the front façade back in February, and NBC10 Boston Investigators found that the city has been getting complaints about this building for nearly a decade. In fact, as far back as 2010 the fire department labeled it a problem property with dangerous conditions.

It’s a series of three buildings from 392 to 402 Boylston Street. It has been unoccupied for some time, but once housed the Tannery shoe store. 

When part of the building collapsed onto the sidewalk in February, it narrowly missed pedestrians, according to complaints to the city's inspectional services department. No one was hurt in that incident, either, but since 2010 the city has received more than a dozen complaints of unsafe conditions, including a damaged roof, no fire protections or alarms, and a crumbling facade.

The fire department reported “holes in the floors, broken stair wells and structural integrity issues.” The building is marked with red Xs -- warning firefighters about potential hazards.

The city has issued a half dozen violations over the years, demanding the property's owners make repairs and bring the buildings up to code under threat of criminal and financial penalty. But it’s unclear at this point if the owners made any changes or if the city pursued any charges or fines.

Inspectional services is working on getting NBC10 Boston the information on what if anything the city did to hold the owners accountable. NBC10 Boston also has calls out to the buildings’ owners.

Notably, the owners did file a request to demolish the building in April, but that application is pending with the city.

<![CDATA[State Police Investigating Fatal Crash in Braintree]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 18:41:09 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/fatal+crash+generic+ap+images.JPG

Massachusetts State Police are investigating a 2-car crash in Braintree early Tuesday morning that claimed the life of a Taunton woman.

Police say that a 2003 Buick Rendezvous was going southbound on Interstate 93 southbound near exit 5 when, for some reason, the driver lost control. The car crashed into a guard rail before ending up in the right travel lane.

The driver of that car exited her vehicle and was standing behind it when another car traveling southbound hit the Buick and pushed it into the driver.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the other vehicle was taken to Boston Medical Center with serious injuries.

The crash is still under investigation.

<![CDATA['Miracle': Woman Rescued Up to 12 Hours After Crash on I-95]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 00:10:13 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/MassDOT_employee_rescues_woman_from_woods.jpg

Officials say 12 hours may have passed before first responders located a woman who had lost control of her car and crashed into bushes off Interstate 95 in Salisbury, Massachusetts, on Monday.

An alert trucker, who says he said a prayer when he saw the mangled metal, told a MassDOT crew he thought he saw a car in the woods. That crew called 911, and MassDOT says one of the crew members stayed with the woman until help arrived.

Salisbury firefighters found the injured 24-year-old Amesbury woman in the woods next to her smashed car Monday afternoon.

"It’s possible that the person involved was in the woods outside of the vehicle with serious injuries for up to 12 hours," Salisbury Fire Chief Scott Carrigan said. "Just the visual picture of the vehicle alone gave everyone there an idea as to how serious this person's injuries could be."

Investigators believe the actual crash happened much earlier Monday and say the woman lost control of her car on I-95 south near exit 60 and bounced off a guardrail before ending up in the woods. 

"It's awful. She is lucky. And I'm thankful for that truck driver that found her," said neighbor Tracy Tremblay.

Responders thought the woman driving home from work might have died. To their surprise, they found her alive and conscious.

"I was very surprised to find that she was out of the vehicle and she was sitting up when we first approached her and was able to communicate with us," Carrigan said.

The woman was flown to a Boston hospital. Neighbors tell us she has significant injuries and that her mom is by her side in the hospital.

Officials have not given an official update on the woman's condition.

Her neighbors remain worried.

"It's nuts, especially when it hits close to home, you never think it would but it does," Austin Smith said.

<![CDATA[Boston Celtics Open New Auerbach Center Practice Facility]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 04:50:43 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/160*120/Auerbach+Center+opening+court.jpg

The Boston Celtics officially opened their new practice facility, the Auerbach Center, Tuesday in Boston.

The Celtics, along with New Balance Athletics, will use the 70,000 square foot center throughout the year as they make the push for their 18th World Championship next season.

The Auerbach Center, named after legendary Celtics coach and president Red Auerbach, is a state-of-the-art facility that boasts two full-sized parquet floors, a sports science lab,a medical examination room, exercise pools, and expanded locker rooms for the players and coaches.

Commuters will be able to see the facility as they travel on the Mass Turnpike as they pass the Boston Landing site, nicknamed "Red's House".

"Red Auerbach's legacy burns bright in Boston, and nowhere is that more evident than right at Red's House," said Boston Mayor Marty Walsh.

Photo Credit: NBC10 Boston]]>
<![CDATA[Truck Pulls Down Pole, Driver Trapped Under Wires ]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:44:08 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/165*120/Brockton+truck+wires+619.PNG

A tractor-trailer pulled down a pole in Brockton, Massachusetts, trapping the driver in the wires, according to Brockton fire officials.

The truck pulled down the pole and wires at North Main and Division streets on Tuesday morning, trapping the driver.

Power is out in the surrounding area and Brockton police, Brockton firefighters and National Grid crews are on the scene.

People are urged to avoid travel in the area.

Photo Credit: Brockton Fire Dept.]]>
<![CDATA[Alternative 'Metal Yoga' is Darker, Louder and Rocks Out]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 13:21:45 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/metal+yoga+2.png

This yoga class leaves the wind chimes and calm music behind and replaces it with pulse-pounding metal.

Black Widow Yoga, held at the Satanic Temple in Salem, Massachusetts, blends the ancient art of yoga with doom and heavy metal music. The poses are similar, except for a few metal horns thrown here and there, but the classes are meant to explore the dark side as well as the light side during their practice.

Owner Christina Moroney is a longtime metal fan who didn’t want her yoga class to be another fitness fashion show. Her classes encourage all types to attend and let out their feelings while they practice.

See this more hardcore version of yoga in action in the video above, and learn how it all began as a way to cope with the loss of a beloved family member.

Learn more about Black Widow Yoga at blackwidowyoga.com

<![CDATA[Man Killed in Highway Rollover Crash]]>Tue, 19 Jun 2018 08:16:35 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Raynham+rollover.JPG

A man was killed Tuesday morning after being ejected from a vehicle on Interstate 495 south in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, according to state police.

The crash happened at about 6 a.m. at I-495 and Route 24.

Police said the 66-year-old driver from Clearwater, Florida, was traveling by exit 7 when for some reason, he lost control and rolled over. The driver was ejected and the vehicle came to rest in the median.

The victim, who has not yet been identified, was taken to Morton Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The cause of the crash is under investigation by state police.

<![CDATA[Methuen Police Looking for Missing Teen]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 23:06:56 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/214*120/madison+bell.jpg

Police in Methuen, Massachusetts are looking for a missing teen.

Madison Bell, 15, was reported missing on June 13.

She was last seen near Holy Family Hospital wearing jeans and a grey sweatshirt.

Bell is described as having blue eyes, black hair, weighing approximately 120 pounds and 5'3" tall.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is urged to call the Methuen Police Department at 978-983-8698.

<![CDATA[Dad Warns Parents of Pool Safety After Toddler Scales Locked Ladder]]>Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:08:25 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/Viral_Video_Raises_Question_of_Pool_Safety.jpg

As temperatures soar, parents are beginning to think about pool safety, but a family in Attleboro, Massachusetts, said the gate that was supposed to stop children from getting into the pool didn't prevent their toddler from danger.

The Wyman family recently purchased an above-ground pool and installed a ladder that includes a locked safety cover. 

Keith Wyman said the family was in their backyard last week when they noticed their 2-year-old son scaling the locked gate covering the ladder to their pool. His mother grabbed him before he got into the pool, but not before capturing it on camera to show other parents how easily kids could climb over.

The cover has slats in it, which the family said makes it easy for their toddler to gain a foothold and climb it. The Wymans said it sheds light on what they believe is a design flaw.

"If a 2-year-old can do it, a 6-year-old can do it and an 8-year-old can do it," Wyman said. "The door on the ladder needs to be one solid piece if anything."

Wyman posted the video of his son on Facebook on Friday. By Monday evening, it had been viewed nearly 20 million times and shared more than 530,000 times by people all over the world.

Wyman said he has received comments from users as far away as Uganda and Australia.

The pool store the family bought the ladder from offered to let them exchange it for a different model, but the family said many of the ladders have a similar design.

The family said they've since learned that the ladder was manufactured by VinylWorks Canada. They tried to reach the company on Monday without success.

NBC10 Boston spoke with a VinylWorks customer service representative Tuesday, who said the person who could comment on this was not in the office.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission's Pool Safely guidelines call for the steps or ladder to be secured, locked, surrounded by a barrier or removed to prevent children from climbing up into an above-ground pool. The agency notes that spacing between horizontal slats or within decorative cutouts in gates and barriers should not exceed 1 3/4 inches. 

"This size is based on the foot width of a young child and is intended to reduce the potential for a child to gain a foothold and attempt to climb the fence," the CPSC guideline states.

It was not immediately clear if the VinylWorks gate in the ladder the Wyman family purchased meets the spacing recommendations set forth by the CPSC.

The Wyman family said it plans to install a fence around the pool to better protect it, but hope their video raises awareness.

“It was an eye-opener,” Keith Wyman said. “It was a life lesson and we want to get this out there, to tell everybody that it is pool season. Watch your kids.”

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.]]>
<![CDATA[1 Killed, 2 Injured in Shooting in Lowell]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 23:31:09 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/206*120/Lowell+fatal+shooting.jpg

Authorities are investigating a shooting that left one man dead in Lowell, Massachusetts Monday afternoon.

Lowell police said three men were shot at the intersection of Smith and Westford streets.

One man died at the scene. The two other men were rushed to local hospitals.

The men remain hospitalized with life-threatening injuries, authorities said. 

The shooting does not appear to be random, according to police. No suspect description was released.

Authorities have not released the identities of any of the victims, however family members tell NBC10 Boston that the man who was killed was 33-year-old Saron Yut, a father of two who worked at Market Basket and lived with another one of the victims.

An earlier update in the evening from the district attorney's office incorrectly stated that a second victim had died following the shooting. However, officials issued a correction late Monday night saying only one person had died from the shooting. 

No further information was immediately available.

<![CDATA[Police: Teen Seriously Injured After Jumping Out of Window]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 17:54:55 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/police+officer+dragged+sirens1.jpg

A teen is facing life-threatening injuries after jumping out of the window of a school in Boston, according to police. 

Authorities responded to the scene on Arlington Street shortly after 3 p.m. and remained at the scene more than an hour after the incident. The teen was rushed to a nearby hospital.    

Boston Police initially said the incident involved a pedestrian who was struck by a car. 

Authorities say there was no foul play, but the incident remains under investigation. The school is also conducting an internal investigation. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto]]>
<![CDATA[2 Badly Injured in Propane Tank Explosion in North Andover]]>Mon, 18 Jun 2018 17:22:20 -0400https://media.necn.com/images/213*120/nandover2.jpg

Two people were seriously injured in an propane tank explosion at a gas station in North Andover, Massachusetts on Monday afternoon.

The explosion, which involved a white camper, occurred shortly before 4 p.m. at a Mobil gas station on Osgood Street.

The victims — an employee and a customer — were taken to local hospitals via medical helicopter with burn injuries. Their conditions are not known at this time.

Fire officials said there were flames showing when they arrived. They said it was difficult for them to turn off the gas from the propane tank right away, but they eventually were able to do so.

Deputy Fire Chief Graham Rowe says a propane explosion like this, especially at a gas station, is rare. 

Officials added that the hot weather made it harder on the fire crews, but no firefighters needed any treatment for heat exhaustion.

The cause of the explosion remains under investigation. No further information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBC10 Boston]]>