There were no new COVID-19 related deaths reported Tuesday in New Hampshire, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.
The number of residents who have died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, stands at 42, state epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan said at a Tuesday news conference.
There were 44 additional positive coronavirus cases in the Granite State, bringing the total number to 1,491.
"I am thankful to say that our numbers remain relatively stable," Chan said.
He added that while the numbers are stable, the state has not yet seen an overall decline so residents should continue to social distance and wear cloth masks if they need to go out.
Also speaking at the news conference, Gov. Chris Sununu announced the formation of the Governor's Economic Re-Opening Task Force which will look at all the businesses in the state and come up with guidance in order to move forward in re-opening the economy.
More on the Coronavirus in New Hampshire
The group of bipartisan legislators, private-sector leaders and state officials will work collaboratively with public health experts and stakeholders across all industries, Sununu said.
The governor said the formation of the task force doesn't mean there is a set date to getting the economy back to 100% but it's an effort to ensure that plans are in place.
"Today's announcement does not mean we are flipping a switch and opening things tomorrow, but is rather a proactive approach enabling us to plan for the re-opening of our economy from a public health standpoint," Sununu said. "The formation of the Governor's Economic Re-Opening Task Force will work collaboratively with public health experts and stakeholders across all industries to examine how we can start to re-open of our economy in phases, guided by public health, which will always come first."
The first meeting of the task force was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.
On Saturday, a few hundred demonstrators cheered and waved signs outside the New Hampshire State House to call on Sununu to re-open the economy. Like many states, a stay-at-home order is in effect in New Hampshire until May 4.
Members of the crowd carried signs with slogans such as "Live Free or Die," the state’s motto. Others included "Restore Jobs" and "Kiss My Constitution."
Meanwhile, a judge is considering whether Sununu can spend New Hampshire's $1.25 billion in coronavirus relief aid without legislative approval.
The Democratic leaders of the New Hampshire House and Senate and its joint fiscal committee sued the governor last week to halt the new Governor's Office for Emergency Relief and Recovery.
Solicitor General Dan Will pointed at a hearing Monday to a 2002 law granting the governor authority to take immediate action during a statewide crisis.
Also Monday, a legislative advisory board heard from hospitals, nursing homes and other groups about the pandemic's financial impact.