New Hampshire

Woman Found Dead After Fire in Seabrook, NH

The Office of the State Fire Marshal and New Hampshire State Police are conducting a joint investigation

NBC Universal, Inc.

One person was found dead following an overnight fire at a mobile home in Seabrook, New Hampshire, and an untimely death investigation is underway, officials said.

The Centennial Street fire was first reported around 3:30 a.m. Thursday, according to a press release from the state fire marshal's office.

Responding crews found the mobile home fully engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene. A woman and dog were later found dead inside the home, fire officials said.

The victim was identified as 42-year-old Lynette Maryea. Her cause of death was ruled smoke inhalation, and the manner of death is pending further investigation.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal was contacted to conduct an investigation, and assistance from the major crime unit of the New Hampshire State Police was later requested.

Attorney General John M. Formella, State Police Colonel Nathan Noyes, State Fire Marshal Sean Toomey, and Seabrook Police Chief Brett Walker announced that authorities are conducting an untimely death investigation in Seabrook.

“At this point it’s an untimely death investigation," Senior Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley said. "We’re here to provide possible assistance to the state police, local police and fire marshal but we have been involved on numerous occasions in untimely death investigations that turn out to be not suspicious."

Several relatives of the victim stopped by the scene Thursday but did not want to go on camera.

Even with the fire station close by and a police station across the street from the mobile home, there was no saving the woman and dog inside as fire ripped through during the early morning hours.

“It’s too bad. I was wishing that she didn’t die,” neighbor Rachel Neal said.

According to Neal, the trailer has been a trouble spot in the past.

“I don’t know what was going on down there but I know they always fight. And all last summer they were fighting. They had cops over there left and right," Neal said. "Just yelling back and forth. Dirty names and that kind of stuff. Slamming doors.”

Neal says while she did not know the woman who lived there, she saw her with the dog on the street.

“It’s a little pit bull, black and white I think. And she usually goes by here and walks the dog,” Neal recalled.

Investigators have determined the majority of fire damage is in the front of the home, which appeared gutted Thursday.

The cause of the fire remain under investigation at this time.

Anyone with information that may assist the investigation is asked to contact the state fire marshal's office at 603-223-4289, or New Hampshire State Police at 603-223-4381.

Contact Us