Former Firefighter Dies in Fire Caused by Faulty Extension Cord

(NECN: Katelyn Tivnan) – A Weston, Mass. resident and former firefighter has died after getting trapped in a burning building early Friday morning.

Officials said when crews arrived to fight the 2-alarm fire the building was fully engulfed in flames. The building was a garage unit separate from the home at 690 Wellesley St.

Crews were not able to get inside the building to reach the man. Family has identified him as Ross Giamo, 68.

A post on the Weston Fire Facebook account said, "Ross was a retired Weston Fire Fighter and a great friend to all. Our condolences go out to his brother Weston Fire Fighters, his family and his friends. Rest in peace Ross!"

The fire marshal said the fire was caused by the failure of a heavy duty extension cord. There was no evidence of working smoke detectors in the building.

For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Contact Us