(NECN) - It's that time of year where it feels like money is flying out of your pocket.
To help you avoid the holiday budget hangover in the new year, we've got some expert advice. This morning we were joined by Joann Morency, senior vice president and director of retail banking at Commerce Bank.
She has a few big tips to keep your finances intact:
- Make list of presents you want to buy and budget for each item
- Check your balances on your checking account before you go shopping
- Use cash or a debit car so you know exactly what you're going to spend
- Avoid expensive credit card purchases, because you don't want to be paying for 2010 items in 2011
- Don't forget about the costs of decorating and entertaining: trees, lights, decorations, food, and alcohol can all add up.