Man Found Dead in Bathroom at Hazmat Scene

A man was found dead in the bathroom of an apartment on West Street in Randolph, Massachusetts on Thursday.

Authorities identified the man as 64-year-old John Cullen, who lived in that apartment.

Neighbors said Cullen had not been seen for a while, but initial investigation does not suggest foul play.

Officials were called to the scene when a maintenance worker at the apartment building said there was a report of an odor in one of the apartments. He entered the unit and found a hand-written note on a closed bathroom door, which said "Do not enter, call Poison Control."

The building was then evacuated and police and fire officials were called. After determining the site was safe for police entry, detectives found multiple charcoal fires in metal containers that had long since burned out. This type of fire is known to produce fatal levels of carbon monoxide.

The bathroom where Cullen was found showed indications of being sealed and secured from the inside. The identity of the deceased is being withheld.

No other hazardous materials were found and authorities say there is no longer a danger at the property.

Fire officials are no longer commenting on the incident. The situation is under investigation by Mass. State Police, Randolph Police, and the District Attorney's Office.

For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Contact Us