READ THE COURT DOCUMENTS: Timeline of Manchester, NH, Police Shootings Emerges

A timeline of the series of events that led to the shootings of two police officers in Manchester, New Hampshire, last week is beginning to take shape

A timeline of the series of events that led to the shootings of two police officers in Manchester, New Hampshire, last week is beginning to take shape.

Court documents released Monday detail the events that ultimately led to the arrest of Ian MacPherson. He was arraigned Monday morning and ordered held without bail on two counts of attempted capital murder.

It all began with the report of a robbery at the Shell Gas Sation at 245 Eddy Road around 1:30 a.m. Thursday. The clerk told police that the gas station was robbed at gunpoint by a man in a dark trench coat and a black ski mask.

The man allegedly told the clerk "not going to hurt you, just put all the bills in this bag this is no joke." The suspect left with money from the register, and said he'd be back the following day.

Police were able to obtain surveillance footage from the gas station, and disseminated a description throughout the Manchester Police Department.

The next day - Friday - Manchester Police Officer Ryan Hardy was on patrol, working the midnight shift from 11 p.m. Thursday until 7:30 a.m. Friday. Around 2:03 a.m., he was in traveling in the area of Second and Ferry streets when he called off on the radio that he would be checking on a male subject who matched the description of the bank robbery suspect from the night before. About 30 seconds later, he broadcasted, "Shots fired, shots fired. I've been shot," followed by a description of the male subject and the direction he was last seen heading.

Hardy was shot twice, in the face and torso.

After the shots were fired, a number of area residents callled police to say they had heard the shots and saw a man running from the scene. Manchester and New Hampshire State Police then began searching the area. A K9 track was also started, leading officers to the area of Putnam and Rimmon streets.

At 2:33 a.m., Manchester Police Officer Matthew O'Connor - who was also working the midnight shift - reported that he and members of the state police had located a male who fit the suspect's description on Rimmon Street by Putnam Street. He asked the man to put his hands up, and said the man told him, "I am the guy you are looking for."

The suspect then turned and pointed a gun at O'Connor and began firing. O'Connor was shot once in the lower right leg. Members of the Manchester Police and state police returned fire, but the suspect fled into the woods.

As officers continued to search the densely wooded area, they saw a man who fit the suspect's description emerge from the area of 468 Bartlett St. at 5 a.m. The man, later identified as MacPherson, was taken into custody without further incident. 

A continued search of the area yielded the discovery of a semi-automatic, .40-caliber Smith and Wesson firearm, a dark-colored coat, a black ski mask and a wallet.

The coat was found underneath a porch, and a handgun magazine was found in a nearby storm drain. The mask and wallet were found in the street.

Further police investigation revealed that MacPherson purchased the firearm at Chester Arms on Bypass 28 in Derry, New Hampshire, on April 1 for $349. He also purchased a box of Magtech .40-caliber ammunition containing 50 rounds of ammunition for $18.

Investigators at the scene of the shooting of Officer Hardy recovered 15 shell casings matching the gun purchased by MacPherson. The court affidavit does not include information the number of shells recovered from the second shooting scene.

Both of the injured officers were treated and have since been released fro the hospital.

MacPherson is scheduled to return to court for a dangerousness hearing on May 27.

Contact Us