What to Know
- Fire officials in Merrimack, New Hampshire say a husband and wife died in an accidental fire early Tuesday morning at their Gail Road home.
- Crews were able to knock down the fire but located the victims Larry Hall, and his wife, Pauline Hall, both 84, inside the home.
- Investigators said the fire started in the living room and the preliminary cause of appears to be careless disposal of smoking materials.
A husband and wife died early Tuesday in an accidental house fire in Merrimack, New Hampshire.
At 12:39 a.m., the Merrimack Fire Department Station 2 was alerted by a passerby that there was a fire at a home at 7 Gail Rd.
"A citizen stopped and knocked on the door of the station and said he smelled smoke in the area," said Merrimack Fire Chief Michael Currier.
Fire crews were able to knock down the blaze quickly and located the two elderly victims inside the home, where they died. They were later identified as Larry Hall, and his wife, Pauline Hall, both 84.
The victims’ daughter said her parents lived in the home alone. She said her father was a Navy veteran and that they were wonderful people.
"One of the victims was located in the bedroom, the second victim was located in the kitchen area by a slider," said Currier.
Investigators said the fire started in the living room of the single-family home and the preliminary cause appears to be careless disposal of smoking materials. Medical oxygen equipment located in the same area may have also contributed to the growth of the fire. Authorities said there were also no working smoke alarms in the home.
Neighbors said the couple lived on the street for years and will be missed.
"Very, very unexpected. I can't believe because yesterday he was talking about how he was so content saying he was going to live here for as long as he can... and the next day this happens," said neighbor Tom Fecteau.
An autopsy will be performed Tuesday to determined the exact cause of the couple's deaths.