A house on the property of the Prospect Harbor Lighthouse caught fire Monday, officials said.
Multiple fire departments responded and smoke poured from windows of the century-old lightkeeper’s cottage in the town of Gouldsboro, east of Winter Harbor.
The blaze was quickly extinguished. According to officials with the office of Maine’s State Fire Marshal, the fire was accidental, it began in a bathroom ventilation fan and the office considers the cottage a “total loss.”
A representative from the U.S. Navy said Wednesday afternoon that it is “too early in the damage assessment’ to make a final determination regarding the cottage’s future, though the Navy added that it understands there is interest in restoring lodging for military families at the site.
The lighthouse dates to 1849 but the existing lighthouse, made of wood, went into service in 1891. The keeper’s cottage, built around the same time, is in a separate structure.