Family: NH Man Accused of Killing Worker Has Died

The homeowner, who neighbors identify as Richard Verville, allegedly called a service worker from City Fuel to his house on Currier Drive Tuesday

A New Hampshire homeowner who shot a worker to death and then turned the gun on himself on Tuesday has died.

Family members announced Wednesday afternoon that 71-year-old Richard Verville had died. The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office issued a statement shortly thereafter confirming that Verville passed away at a Massachusetts hospital.

Verville allegedly called a service worker from City Fuel to his house on Currier Drive on Tuesday to service his heating system.

As the worker, Dan Rabideau, 59, was working on the heating system, Verville allegedly shot Rabideau and then shot himself in the head.

Rabideau had worked for City Fuel for the past three years, according to his wife and step-daughter. The attorney general's office said he died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Dan Rabideau
Family of Dan Rabideau provided this photo to necn and said he was the City Fuel worker fatally shot in Londonderry, New Hampshire.

"For me, it was unreal," said Carol Rabideau, the victim's wife. "For someone to tell me my husband was killed... I couldn't put two and two together.

"I told my daughter, 'I need to go. I need to see where my husband took his last breath.'"

Kim Mattucci, the victim's stepdaughter, said, "Dan was like my second dad as far as I'm concerned. He was a father figure to me.

"He just came and did his job and someone who was unstable took his life for no reason."

Nearby homes were evacuated Tuesday after a state police explosive team was called in. SWAT teams and other police vehicles lined the streets and officers were seen in the woods holding long rifles.

Police Response in Londonderry, New Hampshire

Neighbors said Verville lived alone and often spied on them. The attorney general's office said he was apparently suffering from "significant mental health issues" at the time of the incident.

"He had put up cameras watching my neighbor's sons playing in their backyard and we could see from our bus stop every morning that some of the cameras would move positions overnight," neighbor Eileen Criscione said.

Neighbors said that when Verville moved in four years ago, he handed out a letter saying he was targeted by the government following the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Verville's daughter-in-law, Kimberly Verville, issued a statement on Wednesday saying that her family is "deeply sorry for the tragic loss and all the pain and suffering that it has brought to the Rabideau family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them all."

Police returned to Verville's Londonderry home on Wednesday as the investigation continued.

Police are still trying to figure out a connection between the homeowner and worker. Carol Rabideau said her husband did not know Verville.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Rabidea's family. Click here for more information.

Contact Us