Son Dead, Father Seriously Injured in Fire

Kennebunk Fatal Fire

Fire officials say there were no smoke detectors inside a home in which one man died and his father was seriously injured.

The blaze at 305 Cat Mousam Rd. broke out around 2:30 a.m. in Kennebunk, Maine.

25-year-old Kyle Szlosek of Glen Burnie, Maryland, died. His 62-year-old father, Paul Szlosek, is being treated for smoke inhalation at Maine Medical Center.

Another son, 31-year-old Jonathan Cressey of Suffolk, Virginia, was able to escape the fire by climbing onto a porch roof from the second floor. Once on the ground, he then helped his father escape through a first floor bedroom window.

The body of the younger Szlosek was found by firefighters on the second floor. He died of smoke inhalation.

The two sons were in Maine visiting their mother who is hospitalized.

Fire investigators say the fire started in the first floor living room, either from smoking or a malfunctioning computer.

This is the eighth fire death in Maine this year.

Contact Us