Local

10 Treated for Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Three of those treated were children

carbon-monoxide-detector 722
File - NECN

Six people were taken to the hospital and four others were treated at the scene after they were exposed to dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in a Gorham, Maine, apartment building.

Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre says a resident called authorities at about 2:30 p.m. Monday.

Tenant David Aldrich tells WGME-TV he had a headache, while his neighbors complained of headaches, blurred vision, trouble breathing, dizziness, sleepiness and vomiting.

Three of those treated were children.

Lefebvre said firefighters found carbon monoxide levels at 107 parts per million, more than three times accepted levels.

The problem was quickly traced to a cracked boiler in the basement that was leaking carbon monoxide, and snow blocking an outside vent.

The chief says the six-unit building with 15 tenants had no working carbon monoxide detectors.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us