Local

2 Burned When Woman in Maine Tries Smoking With Oxygen Tank

1418-B_BLOCK-WEB.jpeg

Officials in Maine say a woman's oxygen face mask caught fire while she was attempting to light a cigarette on Thanksgiving.

WCSH-TV reports that Waterville Fire and Rescue responded to a home on Spruce Street at about 2 p.m. where the fire had ignited.

Officials said a man at the home burned his hand while trying to extinguish the blaze. He refused to be taken to the hospital.

The woman who lit the cigarette with the oxygen mask on was taken to Maine General Medical Center. Her condition is unclear.

Fire officials are reminding people to not smoke while using oxygen tanks. They say items such as clothes, hair and furniture become saturated with oxygen and may ignite more easily.

Contact Us