Vandals started three small fires at a Maine high school under construction, which were discovered during a routine check Monday morning, according to officials.
Sanford Fire Chief Steve Benotti told WCSH-TV that on officer on patrol drove by the construction site at Sanford High School at about 4:30 a.m. and noticed one fire.
When firefighters arrived and went inside the building, two additional smoldering fires were discovered in other parts of the building.
Sanford Superintendent David Theoharides told the Press Herald that a large window in an office had been broken and a scissor lift had been driven through one of the school's wings.
The latest news from around the state
The damage to the $100.2 million building is still being accessed, but Theoharides does not think it is extensive. Authorities said they hope construction can resume Tuesday.
The state fire marshal is investigating the incident.
The new high building, which is said to be the most expensive school construction project in Maine history, is supposed to be ready for September but construction has been lagging.