Local

Exploding Vacuum Cleaner Sparks Eastern Maine House Fire

The resident called 9-1-1 saying the vacuum cleaner had exploded in the garage

tlmd_nadia_douglas

An exploding vacuum cleaner is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a log cabin in the eastern Maine community of Waite.

A resident of the 2 1/2-story home called just before 11 a.m. Sunday to report that a vacuum cleaner had exploded in the garage and sparked a fire that spread to the main house.

The resident was able to escape safely but the home was destroyed.

Firefighters from Indian Township were first on the scene and received help from the Alexander, Baileyville, Calais, Danforth, and Princeton departments.

Exactly why the vacuum cleaner exploded remains part of the investigation.

Waite, in Washington County, has a population of about 100 people. 

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us