Local

No Working Smoke Detector in Home Where Child Died

Hermon Home Fire
WCSH

Authorities say there was no working smoke detector in a Maine home where a 9-year-old boy died and his cousin was injured.

Fire marshal investigators say they found only one smoke detector in the mobile home in Hermon and that it didn't have batteries. Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said neither the first person to stop to help nor first responders heard the beeping of a smoke detector.

Killed in the blaze Tuesday morning was Wyatt Parker of Levant, who was spending the night with two cousins. Officials say 10-year-old Ashlyn Parker suffered from smoke inhalation, and another cousin escaped unharmed.

Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen area after John Parker and Lasey Reidy left the children alone to run some errands.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us