A 13-year-old Maine student is facing a felony charge after police say the child made "threats of violence" on a social media platform, prompting the lockdown of all Bangor public schools Wednesday morning.
Bangor police say the teen, whose name has not been released, has been arrested and charged with terrorizing, which is a class C felony, following an investigation into Wednesday's online threat.
Bangor Public Schools Superintendent Betsy Webb previously said officials locked down all schools after they learned of the threats directed at the Doughty School and Bangor High School.
The latest news from around the state
WCSH reports police also responded to nearby Orono High School and Middle School on Wednesday morning after online threats were made, prompting a temporary lockdown there; police have not said if the cases are connected.
Bangor police say several students learned about the "threats of violence" from a fake social media account, and after clearing the schools, investigators conducted interviews and, with the help from internet service providers, identified the 13-year-old as a suspect.
Orono Police Chief Josh Ewing told WCSH the threat was reported when students were in the hallways of the schools, "but the teachers and students reacted wonderfully."
It's unclear if the teen suspect has an attorney.
The investigation is ongoing.