Local

Woman Hospitalized in Mobile Home Fire

The owner of the home, Earle Shepardson, says his girlfriend Michelle Bancroft was alone in the home at the time of the fire

Fire-Hydrant-Red-generic1
necn

A fire that gutted a central Maine mobile home has left a family displaced and sent a woman to the hospital with burns to her hands.

The Morning Sentinel reports
the blaze at the home on South Main Street in Athens was reported around 10 a.m. Tuesday.

The owner of the home, Earle Shepardson, says his girlfriend Michelle Bancroft was alone in the home at the time of the fire.

Shepardson says Bancroft opened a wood stove and the flames began spreading. The stove was purchased just this winter.

Assistant Fire Chief Brett Strout says the cause of the fire is not considered suspicious.

Crews from Cornville, Harmony, Madison and Skowhegan helped Athens firefighters extinguish the blaze. The home was completely destroyed.

The state fire marshal will investigate.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us