2 Firefighters Injured, More Than a Dozen Displaced in 3-Alarm Fire

The scene of Wednesday morning's fire is just a mile from where Worcester firefighter died while battling a 5-alarm blaze on Sunday

What to Know

  • A 3-alarm fire was reported at a multi-family home on Allen Street in Worcester, Massachusetts, Wednesday morning.
  • The fire is just a mile from where Worcester firefighter Christopher Roy perished in a 5-alarm blaze on Sunday.
  • Some of the firefighters who responded to Wednesday's fire on Allen Street also fought the deadly blaze on Sunday.

Two firefighters were injured and more than a dozen people were displaced Wednesday following a 3-alarm blaze in Worcester, Massachusetts.

The blaze was reported around 5 a.m. at a multi-family home on Allen Street. Officials initially said about 13 to 16 people lost their home, but Red Cross said it is responding to assist 14 residents who were displaced.

Resident Gabriel Soto's mother had just left for work when the fire happened.

"I kiss her and give her a hug and then next thing I know, all this smoke was in the room and I panicked," Soto said.

One of the hurt firefighters suffered a back injury, while the other suffered an ankle injury, according to officials. It's unclear if any residents were injured in the fire.

Fire crews said the blaze was difficult to combat due to a frozen fire hydrant and the building's age.

The fire comes just days after Worcester Fire Department firefighter Christopher Roy perished on Sunday after he responded to a 5-alarm blaze just about a mile away from Wednesday's fire.

Some firefighters who responded to the Allen Street blaze also responded to Sunday's fatal fire.

"Once the three tones struck, our firefighters went straight to work," Worcester Fire Department Deputy Chief Martin Dyer said. "All bad thoughts went out of their head. They came in and did the best job that they can."


The latest news from around the state

SUV Crashes Into Building in Back Bay

Authorities on Scene at Car Crash in Westborough

The cause of the Wednesday's fire is under investigation.

Contact Us