Carjacking Suspect Rescued After Jumping Off Fort Point Bridge

The 29-year-old Shirley resident remains guarded at a hospital until a future arraignment date

What to Know

  • William Thoresen was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly broke into a building, carjacked a taxi and jumped into the Fort Point Channel.
  • Officers rescued the suspect after a frantic witness reported that they saw some jump from a bridge.
  • Thoresen, 29, faces multiple charges that include carjacking, assault and battery and breaking and entering.

A 29-year-old man was recovered from the Fort Point Channel Wednesday morning after he allegedly carjacked a taxi and broke into a building in Boston.

William Thoresen, of Shirley, was rescued from the water shortly after 2:45 a.m. after he jumped into the channel, according to the Boston Police Department. 

Boston police officers were conducting a traffic stop around 2:45 a.m. near the area of 294 Congress Street when a frantic person approached them to report someone had jumped off the Fort Point Bridge. Authorities responded to the area and requested additional units as they searched for a person in the water.

A short time later, officials rescued Shirley resident William Thoresen from the channel. He was taken to an ambulance for treatment after he was recovered.

As their investigation developed, officers learned Thoresen allegedly stole a taxi in front of South Station before he jumped into the channel. The taxi driver told authorities the suspect forced him out of the vehicle and struck him with the opened door of the cab Thoresen reversed. 

The suspect allegedly struck another taxi in front of him and drove the stolen vehicle to the bridge, where he exited the cab and jumped off the bridge.

Officials say their investigation determined that Thoresen allegedly broke into a building located at 201 South Street. He then fled on foot, according to Boston police.

Thoresen was charged with carjacking, assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, breaking and entering, two counts of willful and malicious destruction of property and leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident causing personal injury.

The suspect remains guarded at a hospital and will appear at Boston Municipal Court for an arraignment at a later date. It is unclear if he has an attorney.

Contact Us