Attorney: Freed Child Rapist Wayne Chapman Being Treated at Medical Facility in Boston

Wayne Chapman, 71, is listed as "homeless" and "on the street" on the state's Sex Offender Registry Board

The lawyer for convicted child rapist Wayne Chapman, who was released last week after being found not guilty in a lewdness trial, said the 71-year-old is being treated at a medical facility in Boston.

Attorney Eric Tennen called a press conference Tuesday to address "misinformation about Chapman's whereabouts" after he was listed as homeless and "on the street" on the state's Sex Offender Registry Board

Tennen said Chapman is homeless, but he is not on the street, as he is not able to function on his own. He is currently staying at an undisclosed medical facility in Boston where he is being monitored and treated. He would not say where the facility is located or who is paying for the treatment.

"Wayne Chapman is not a danger. He is unable to take care of himself, he needs medical assistance. He cannot live independently and that has been the case for quite some time."

Tennen said Chapman was "totally unaided by the Department of Corrections and the Commonwealth" in finding a place to live. He said Chapman was released with no property, no medication, no identification and not a cent to his name.

"They're worried about where he is, where he is going, but they did nothing at all to help him upon his release," he said. "They know he can't really function on his own, but they did nothing to help us find placement for him."

Tennen said the goal is to eventually find a permanent residence for Chapman, but that has not happened yet.

"He is happy to be out of prison. I don't know who wouldn't be. Prison is... it's not a nice place. Anyone who can get out after 40 years is certainly going to feel a little better about it. Beyond that, he's a little shellshocked, to be honest."

A jury acquitted Chapman Friday of open and gross lewdness and lewd, wanton and lascivious acts. His acquittal cleared the way for his release. Chapman allegedly exposed himself to staff at Massachusetts Correctional Institution – Shirley for hours on June 3, 2018, then openly masturbated several times the next day.

When Chapman left the court Friday afternoon in plain clothes a short time after the verdict, Tennen had said he thought the jury made the right decision and that his client was no longer a danger to society.

"He's caused a lot of harm in his life but I can tell you at this point in his life, who he is and how he's deteriorated, he's not a risk," Tennen said.

Chapman has served decades in prison after he was convicted of sexually assaulting two boys in Lawrence, Massachusetts, in 1977. He has admitted to molesting hundreds going back to the 1960s.

Chapman's prison term ended in 2004, but he remained civilly committed until last year. Two "qualified examiners" found that Chapman was no longer sexually dangerous because of his age and medical condition — he has Parkinson's disease.

But before he was scheduled to be released, he was accused of exposing himself to the nurses and refusing to cover up.

Contact Us