Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley says no charges will be filed against any officer in regards to a shootout last year that left a suspect dead and a police officer critically injured.
Angelo West, 41, was shot and killed by police on March 27, 2015, after he shot Boston Police Officer John Moynihan in the face during a traffic stop in the city's Roxbury neighborhood.
Video of the actual incident was shown during a news conference on Tuesday. Conley said West's family was shown the video, as well.
The latest news from around the state
"The video evidence and witness statements all establish that Officer Moynihan opened the Nissan's driver's side door to allow Mr. West to step out of the SUV. Without warning or provocation, Mr. West raised a Rossi .357 Magnum revolver and fired directly at Officer Moynihan's face. But for the fact that the weapon was loaded with .38 caliber ammunition, Officer Moynihan would undoubtedly have been killed. Instead, he fell to the ground grievously wounded," said Conley.
Boston Police Commissioner William Evans spoke to necn and said, ""It's a tragedy. We lost Angelo west and I always says I feel bad for his family but he tried to kill one of my officers and they had to do what they had to do, nobody takes joy in doing that."
Moynihan, a 35-year-old Iraq War veteran, was listed in critical condition after the shooting and required surgery to remove the bullet from below his ear. He was a first responder during the Watertown shootout following the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013.
Evans also told necn Moynihan "will be returning to duty soon."