Monday morning's commute was the big test when it comes to electronic tolling in Massachusetts.
State leaders had warned drivers last week they should be prepared for winter storm-like delays when it comes to traffic on the Massachusetts Turnpike.
MassDOT says it looked like their warnings worked, because ridership along the Pike was down between six to 10 percent Monday morning.
"This morning went really well," MassDOT Highway Administrator Tom Tinlin said. "I do believe that credit goes to months of planning, coordination and execution, but the real credit goes to the traveling public."
Electronic tolling has been in effect since Friday night, making nearly 3 million transactions without issue.
Drivers were urged to take public transportation, to give themselves more time on the road and to obey the 15 mile per hour speed limit passing through toll plazas, which are starting to be demolished.
These recommendations are still in place by the state's transportation agency and state police, since Monday morning's commute is but one part in a "much larger journey" as crews remove the old tolling booths during the first phase of construction.
"They don't give trophies out after a first game," Tinlin said.
MassDOT says drivers will be pushed to the outside lanes as crews remove the old tolling booths during this first phase of construction.
State police say there will be extra patrols and tow trucks in case problems arise. All work removing the toll plazas is scheduled to be finished by the end of next year.
The latest news from around the state
Still need an EZ Pass transponder. Click here for more info.