Elderly Man Airlifted After Car Fire at High School

An elderly man was airlifted Monday after police say his lit cigarette caused a car fire in Salem, Massachusetts.

Fire officials confirmed around 4 p.m. that crews had responded to a car fire at Salem High School on Wilson Street.

Police say the man, who uses oxygen, suffered burns after lighting a cigarette.

The victim was taken to a Boston-area hospital by medical helicopter, according to police.

No further information was immediately available.

Contact Us