Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling a two-alarm fire at an apartment house in Quincy, according to Quincy Deputy Fire Chief Paul Griffith.
Officials responded to the four-family home on Bessie Street at about 4 p.m. Saturday after a carelessly disposed cigarette ignited a fire on the second-floor deck that spread into the attic, according to the fire department.
Firefighters were able to quell the flames within an hour.
A lieutenant sustained a slight concussion, dehydration and a cut on his face. He was transported to South Shore Hospital and released later that day. Another firefighter was treated at the scene.
Residents were able to evacuate before fire officials arrived. No injuries were reported.
A neighboring house sustained heat damage, and Griffith credited firefighters with doing “a great job of getting it (the fire) under control before it burned that other house down.”