A juvenile male has been charged in connection with serious threats that were found on a Massachusetts high school’s wall earlier this week, prompting an increase in security.
The threats were found and reported by a student Wednesday night at the Presentation of Mary Academy in Methuen. The exact nature of those threats has not been revealed by police.
A student of the school will appear in Lawrence Juvenile District Court on a charge of willfully communicating or causing to be communicated a threat.
Classes on Thursday were delayed until 8:25 a.m. while officials investigated the threats, two of which Methuen police said were serious and had no dates. While police said it was enough to jump into action to keep kids safe, they wish it didn't have to come to this.
"I know parents are nervous, I know students are extremely nervous," said Chief Joe Solomon Thursday. "Today will be a tough day for kids in school academically because you gotta go through a metal detector, it's like you're going to a jail. It's a very scary situation. Education is for education, not for a very high level of security, is for education but unfortunately it's necessary today."
A school threat assessment team assisted in controlled entry, while metal detectors were used alongside bag searches to ensure student safety.
"It's very unfortunate to have turmoil in a school like this but more importantly it's all about safety and we have to think of the students and faculty as well as we move forward," said Methuen Mayor Stephen Zanni.
The latest news from around the state
It is not clear when the student will appear in court or if he has an attorney.