A Massachusetts man who opened an antique bottle of rat poison he thought contained whiskey was taken to the hospital after complaining of burning on his hands and throat.
Fall River Fire Capt. Neil Furtado tells The Herald News firefighters responded to a self-storage facility in the city at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The man said he had bought several bottles at auction and was told they were at least 60 years old and probably contained whiskey. The man is expected to be OK. His name wasn't released.
The latest news from around the state
Furtado says the only bottle he opened contained strychnine powder, used as rat poison.
A hazardous materials team responded and tested the other bottles, some of which contained acid.
Nothing was spilled but the storage facility was shut down for several hours.