Police in Brockton, Massachusetts, say the death of a 61-year-old pedestrian has pushed the number of people struck and killed by vehicles this year to eight.
Lt. Kenneth LeGrice said the latest fatality occurred Monday morning, when the unidentified victim was hit while walking along North Pearl Street. He was taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
On Monday evening, the victim was identified by police as Thomas Ryan of Main Street in Brockton.
LeGrice says Brockton police and state police are investigating. No charges were immediately brought against the driver.
Mayor Bill Carpenter last month ordered empty police cruisers to be parked on busy streets to get drivers to slow down.
The Boston Globe reports that the state will install electronic caution signs.