‘I Thought I Was Going to Die': Man Dragged by Car; Driver Charged With OUI

The suspect is accused of driving under the influence of alcohol, hitting a pedestrian and hitting another car in East Boston

Police arrested a suspected drunken driver overnight who is accused of hitting a pedestrian with his car in East Boston.

State police said troopers were on patrol on Porter Street when they saw a Toyota Corolla driving in reverse crash into a light pole. The crash caused the car to get stuck on a utility box, prompting the driver to accelerate forward and backward in an attempt to free the vehicle.

The driver, who was later identified as Adelmo Rodriguez, 47, of Chelsea, was driving "aggressively" in the direction of troopers as he tried to dislodge his car, state police said. After several commands, the suspect exited the car was arrested.

The man who was hit and dragged by the vehicle spoke to NBC10 Bsoton, but did not want to give his name.

"I thought I was going to die," he said.

Surveillance footage shows the Toyota Corolla back into the victim, then hitting and dragging him.

Amazingly, the man was lying on the sidewalk and managed to get up before being run over again.

The Corolla can be seen continuing down Porter Street, destroying light poles on the sidewalk outside La Gran Manzana, where the victim works. It hits another car, which police say was left inoperable.

The people in the second car were not injured.

The pedestrian said his desire to see his son again gave him the strength to get up after being dragged by a car.

"It's all I ever think about, not being able to see him," the man said.

Despite his injurie, the man says he feels like it's a new life for him after experiencing what he calls the worst day of his life.

"I'm feeling great. I get to see my son tomrorow," he said. "I won't be able to pick him up."

Rodriguez faces charges that include OUI, two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, assault with a dangerous weapon and more.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in East Boston District Court. The investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us