Accused Cop-Killer in Weymouth Shooting Ordered Held Without Bail

Emanuel Lopes, 20, is the suspected gunman behind the fatal Weymouth shooting that killed officer Michael Chesna and 77-year-old Vera Adams

What to Know

  • Weymouth police officer Michael Chesna was shot and killed Sunday after responding to a crashed vehicle.
  • Emanuel Lopes, 20, is the suspected gunman behind the fatal shooting. He faces two counts of first-degree murder.
  • Innocent bystander, Vera Adams, 77, was killed after Lopes allegedly opened fire on her.

The man suspected of fatally shooting a Weymouth police sergeant and an elderly woman on Sunday was ordered held without bail after he pleaded not guilty to murder charges at his arraignment on Tuesday.

Emanuel Lopes, 20, was taken to the Quincy District Courthouse in a police van and made his way into the building in a wheelchair.

Lopes, who was hospitalized after being shot by a pursuing police officer on Sunday, listened to the charges against him while the courtroom was filled with Weymouth Police officers, in support of their brother in blue.

He pleaded not guilty two counts of first-degree murder, possession of a firearm without an FID card, malicious destruction of property, negligent operation of a motor vehicle and leaving the scene of a crash involving property damage.

Lopes then shook his head as Norfolk Assistant District Attorney Greg Connor described how he allegedly killed Chesna.

Connor said Chesna had initially responded to a call of a crashed vehicle when he saw Lopes allegedly vandalizing a home. When Chesna came upon Lopes on Burton Terrace, near the intersection with Torrey Road, Lopes was allegedly throwing a rock through the window of a resident there. Lopes then allegedly threw a different rock, roughly half the size of a basketball, striking the officer in the head.

Chesna then fell to the ground, his service weapon also falling. Lopes is accused of then grabbing the weapon and shooting Chesna repeatedly.

When a responding officer arrived, he immediately fired at Lopes striking him in the leg.

Lopes fled through several yards, arriving behind a Torrey Street home. That's where authorities say he fired three shots into the home of 77-year-old Vera Adams, an innocent bystander, killing her.

Lopes' defense attorney said he has been unable to speak with Lopes coherently since the shootings and also has a history of hallucinations. He recommended Lopes be sent to a mental hospital for evaluation.

However, a court psychologist said that while Lopes disagreed with the charges, he understood them and that the defendant was coherent and could describe events in sequential order.

An estimated 3,500 people attended a vigil for Chesna on Monday. He was honored with bagpipes, flags and an honor guard at the Weymouth High School football field.

Chesna, who was described as a decorated officer, was posthumously promoted from officer to sergeant.

"He is leaving behind a legacy here that won't be forgotten," Weymouth Mayor Robert Hedlund said of the fallen officer. "He is leaving behind a great family. I hope we can make something positive out of this horrible tragedy."

Adams' neighbors have been stopping by her home since the shooting, where a memorial has been growing in her memory. She lived alone after her husband died years ago. Adams is remembered for her fun nature and generous spirit, her friends said.

The judge ordered Lopes held without bail and that he return for a probable cause hearing on Aug. 15.

Contact Us