A Salem, New Hampshire man was pulled from a burning vehicle on Wednesday morning after overdosing on heroin.
Salem Police said they were called to assist the Salem Fire Department with a vehicle fire on Crescent Street at 8:01 a.m. Fire officials told police that they responded to a report of a vehicle fire and found a man passed out inside the burning vehicle.
Firefighters pulled the man out of the vehicle, a 2004 BMW, and extinguished the flames, which had already engulfed the engine and damaged some of the garage.
Upon further investigation, police said they learned that the man had recently injected heroin in the home before going to his vehicle to drive to work. Once in the vehicle, he suffered an overdose and his foot became lodged on the gas pedal. After some time, the engine overheated and ignited in flames.
The man was taken to Holy Family Hospital in Methuen, Massachusetts, where he is now in stable condition. He is expected to be transported to a Boston area hospital for treatment of burns to his lungs as well as carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police said the investigation is ongoing and no charges have been filed at this time.