Local

Firefighters Rescue 15-Month-Old Boy From Burning Westerly Home

Westerly house fire 2
WJAR-TV

Firefighters helped save a 15-month-old boy from a home fully engulfed in flames in Rhode Island Wednesday night.

Authorities say the fire broke out at a Westerly residence around 7 p.m. Police said a man and two boys, ages 6 and 7, escaped through a window, but the boys' younger brother was still inside when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters entered the home and rescued the boy from a playpen near where the flames broke out.

Police Capt. Shawn Lacey said the boy was taken to Hasbro Children’s Hospital for treatment of first and second-degree burns. He says the boy's injuries are non life-threatening.

Investigators believe the fire started from a pan with cooking oil that was left on the stove.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us