Local

Fire Destroys Home, Tenant Escapes

Authorities say a fire that destroyed a home in Stowe, Vermont, started in the living room, but they still haven't determined the cause.

The fire marshal's office says the entire two-story home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the home early Sunday morning. The home is owned by a Connecticut couple who were not there at the time. A tenant who lives in a basement apartment told investigators he fell asleep on the couch while cooking something on the stove, but authorities say the fire started in the living room, not the kitchen.

Officials say the homeowners recently replaced old smoke detectors with photoelectric smoke detectors, which awakened the tenant and allowed him to escape.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us