The Vermont Health Department is investigating an outbreak of norovirus at a South Burlington restaurant and pub following more than 50 reports of illness.
Health officials said Friday that the Windjammer Restaurant and its Upper Deck Pub have voluntarily closed for 48 hours to do a thorough cleaning and to discard prepared foods. The department said it has confirmed nine cases of norovirus infection.
The Windjammer posted on its Facebook page about the outbreak, saying it was not clear where the virus originated.
The latest news from around the state
"We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any impact this may have had on you and our Windjammer Community," the post said. "As you know, we care deeply about our guests and our employees and want only the best experience for all of you. This has been a tremendously difficult and unforeseen event as we take great pride in our high standards of safety, health and cleanliness."
The post said the restaurant decided to "voluntarily" close for 48 hours to prevent the virus from spreading any further, but will reopen for business at noon Sunday.
Norovirus can cause what's sometimes referred to as "the stomach flu" but is not related to influenza. It's highly contagious and can be spread through contaminated surfaces and ingestion of contaminated food or water.
Symptoms typically include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and some stomach cramping and usually resolve within 24 to 48 hours. Anyone having those symptoms is advised to contact a health care provider.