CO Suspected After Couple Found Dead in Jericho, Vermont, Home

Authorities detected "extremely high" levels of CO inside the home

jericho vermont

A husband and wife in Jericho, Vermont were discovered dead Wednesday in what police said was an apparent case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Chief Mat Champlin of the Underhill and Jericho Fire Department said a call came in shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday, and first responders discovered "extremely high" levels of CO inside the Bolger Hill Road residence.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as "the silent killer." Investigators said Wednesday afternoon they were still trying to pinpoint the source of the problem, but that no signs of foul play were present.

Lt. Lance Burnham of the Vermont State Police said the couple's coworkers became worried when they could not reach them, and they were the ones who initially went to check on them.

"Apparently, they kept a very normal routine, and they did not show up today," Burnham explained. "So coworkers came out of concern, and that's when they found them."

Investigators have not released the couple's names, pending notification of loved ones. Autopsy results are also still pending.

Champlin said three dogs were also found dead inside the home.

Jon St. Amour, the owner the Jericho Center Country Store, said the couple would come in daily to get their mail and chat with neighbors.

"Everyone in town loved them," St. Amour told necn. "They were great people."

St. Amour said the couple was active in the community, often volunteered for several groups around Jericho and Underhill, and loved working with their dogs to track game for hunters.

"You could tell they loved each other very much," St. Amour recounted. "They were always together, always smiling, and happy with each other. Life goes by in a blink. You just have to stop, take a breath, [and] hug your loved ones."

Champlin said this is a sad reminder of why it's so important to have carbon monoxide detectors and to make sure they're working properly.

"Make sure you have them," Champlin said. "And make sure they're in working order. We just changed our clocks, and we ask that people change their batteries every time they change their clocks."

Contact Us