Suspect Arrested, Memorials Grow Following Quintuple Fatal Vermont Crash

Five teenagers were killed in a fiery crash on I-89 Saturday night

Harwood High Vermont

Vermont State Police served an arrest warrant on the man suspected of driving the wrong way on Interstate 89 Saturday night, killing five high school students.

Police announced early Tuesday evening that they served the warrant on Steven Bourgoin, 36, of Williston.

Bourgoin remains hospitalized in an intensive care unit of the University of Vermont Medical Center, but State Police said he is now in the custody of the corrections department.

Bourgoin is suspected of driving northbound on Interstate 89 in Williston late Saturday night and crashing into a southbound car full of teenagers from central Vermont.

The five teens died in the fiery wreck, first responders said this weekend.

Bourgoin has yet to face formal criminal charges, so has not yet responded to the accusations.

Four of the students who died attended Harwood Union High School in Duxbury, Vermont. That school reopened Tuesday following the long holiday weekend and a vigil Monday night.

Outside the school, a message on a sign reads “Harwood Strong.”

Inside, memorials are growing to 16-year-olds Mary Harris, Cyrus Zschau, Liam Hale, and Eli Brookens.

Amy Rex, the school’s co-principal, told necn affiliate NBC 5 that food, cards, and flowers have come in from around the state and beyond. She added that students, teachers, and staff greatly appreciate the messages of support.

“They’re all very quiet,” Rex said of how students and adults alike behave while examining the memorials. “They come through and just really read and reflect. They’re just taking them all in. It’s really beautiful.”

The fifth student who died, 15-year-old Janie Cozzi, was a student at Kimball Union Academy in Meriden, New Hampshire.

Cozzi grew up in the Harwood district, and remained close friends with many in the community, so she is also represented in the memorials at Harwood Union High School.

Saturday’s crash remains under investigation by Vermont State Police.

Contact Us