The 41-year-old man accused of kidnapping a woman and her 5-year-old son in New Hampshire and later sexually assaulting the woman in Vermont waived his right to appear at his arraignment in federal court in Burlington Friday.
Not guilty pleas to charges of kidnapping and transit of stolen vehicles were entered on behalf of Everett Simpson in a brief hearing.
The latest news from around the state
Simpson allegedly left a Bradford drug abuse treatment center Jan. 4 and traveled to Manchester, New Hampshire, where the alleged kidnapping took place.
He then allegedly brought the woman and her son back to Vermont, where the woman was assaulted in front of the child.
The unusual details of the case drew stunned reactions in Manchester last month when they were first reported.
“Horrifying,” Joan Goodwin said Jan. 7, after learning of the accusations against Simpson. “I’m glad [the survivors] ended up safe, even though I’m sure she’s traumatized—the child, as well.”
“That you can’t even be safe in public – that is a scary thing,” Betty Simoneau said on Jan. 7. “Especially parents with children.”
After the reported sexual assault, Simpson then allegedly fled to Pennsylvania.
He was apprehended after he crashed a stolen car while fleeing police.
An assistant U.S. attorney said Friday that his office is working with more than 15 investigative agencies in several states.
The prosecutor added that potential evidence being studied by the FBI crime lab is "quite voluminous" and includes fingerprint and DNA analysis.
Simpson’s lawyer declined to comment Friday.
The suspect is being held without bail.