A Vermont woman was hospitalized after she was bitten by a black widow spider when she reached into a bag of grapes she bought from a local Shaw's supermarket.
According to WPTZ, the 21-year-old Colchester resident was hospitalized overnight and will be monitored for months following the bite from the poisonous spider. The spider reportedly crawled up her arm and bit her after she reached into a bag of grapes, her family said.
Representatives from the Shaw's in Colchester, where the grapes were purchased, said employees are inspecting all of the produce and contacting suppliers.
The latest news from around the state
"The healty and safety of products we sell, and our customers, is our first concern," the company said. "We have been closely monitoring the situation and have been in close contact with the family."
According to National Geographic, black widow spiders are considered the most venomous spider in North America. Their venom is reported to be 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's.
In humans, bites produce muscle aches, nausea, and a paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult. But most people who are bitten suffer no serious damage - let alone death. Bites can be fatal to small children, the elderly or the infirm, however.