New Hampshire

Officer Shot, Suspect Found Dead After Exchange of Gunfire in Weare, New Hampshire

A 27-year-old police officer was hospitalized after he was shot in the arm allegedly by the suspect

A man who allegedly shot a police officer early Thursday during an hourslong standoff in Weare, New Hampshire was found dead in the residence he was barricaded in, according to Attorney General Gordon MacDonald.

Weare police received a call of an ongoing domestic violence incident at 1:42 a.m. and responded to a home on 236 Buckley Rd., MacDonald said. There, authorities encountered 43-year-old Jeffrey Clough-Garvin, who opened fire at responding officers.

The barricade prompted officials to call in a SWAT team and order a shelter-in-place that had the quiet neighborhood on edge. As of 9 a.m., the threat was "mitigated," according to police.

Clough-Garvin was found dead in the house at 8:38 a.m., MacDonald said. An autopsy will be performed by the Chief Medical Examiner's Office on Friday to determine the cause of his death.

Neighbors say they had seen Clough-Garvin with a woman and two children but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

"They seemed like nice people. Very nice family," one neighbor said.

A 27-year-old officer who was identified as William Paul Lewis was shot in the arm and taken to Concord Hospital for treatment. The injured officer was slated to undergo surgery Thursday and is described as "stable and in good spirits."

Lewis joined the Weare Police Department in July of 2018, according to Weare Police Department Chief Christopher Moore. Per Lewis' request, he has been placed on leave.

"He’s a new officer and I couldn't be prouder of his reaction," Moore said. "He's in very good spirits. His mother is with him at hospital."

A second officer who opened fire has been placed on leave. His name is being withheld pending an interview with him.

Buckley Road was shut down for hours while SWAT teams responded to the scene.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us