Authorities at the New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office say a man found dead in his Litchfield home died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
During a welfare check around 6 p.m. Wednesday, first responders found a man dead, a woman unresponsive and fatal levels of carbon monoxide in the home.
"Extremely high levels of carbon monoxide that are not compatible with life," explained Deputy Fire Marshal Keith Rodenhiser.
U.S. & World
The woman was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she is still being treated. Authorities say the homeowner, Jamie Badeau, died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
His family says they'll miss his humor and the way he lit up a room. In a statement to NBC Boston, Badeau's family said in part, "Our family would like to thank our friends and community for their ongoing support during this hard time. We all loved Jamie dearly. He will truly be missed."
Authorities are still trying to figure out the exact cause of the leak, but are taking this opportunity to warn residents about the dangers of using a generator too close to your home.
"The best thing we can do is try to get the message out, keep them outside, keep the exhaust pointed away, and have CO detection inside the home," Rodenhiser said. "It's a matter of life or death."
Officials say there's no indication of any criminal intent. At this point it the incident on Moose Hollow Road appears to be a tragic accident.