A 13-year-old student suffered an overdose at the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford Thursday morning and is in grave condition at the hospital, according to Mayor Luke Bronin.
Police believe the student overdosed on fentanyl.
Two other seventh graders may have ingested the drug as well, Bronin said. Those two students were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
A teacher was also taken to the hospital after suffering a panic attack, according to the school superintendent.
U.S. & World
Police said officers responded to the school at 280 Huyshop Ave. around 10:45 a.m. Thursday after getting a report of an unconscious child.
EMS was performing CPR when officers arrived and the child was brought to Connecticut Children’s after a possible overdose.
Authorities found a powder-like substance in the gym, according to police. The substance has initially been identified as fentanyl, Bronin said.
A soft lockdown was issued and drug-sniffing dogs were brought in.
Multiple bags of the drug was found around the school, police said.
Students had to remain in place for several hours as police investigated the incident.
Everyone in the building had to walk through a solution of bleach and OxyClean to decontaminate their shoes before leaving Thursday afternoon.
Crews from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection were called to the scene to check the building for any contamination.
Superintendent Leslie Torres-Rodriguez said no decision had been made yet as to whether classes would be held at the school on Friday.
The Sport and Medical Sciences Academy is a magnet school attended by students from Hartford and surrounding towns.