2 Killed in Maine Shootings; Armed Ex-Con in Custody

Two people are dead following a series of shootings in three northern Maine communities overnight.

Anthony Lord, 35, a former convict who had been sought in the shootings, was arrested at a residence in Houlton on Friday, and a woman being held with him was safe, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety. Lord is a registered sex offender and was considered to be armed and dangerous.

He will initially be charged with two counts of murder and is scheduled to appear in court next week. The motive for the killings remains under investigation. Police said it isn't clear if Lord knew all of the victims.

Dozens of law enforcement officers had been searching for Lord, who is believed to have stolen a logging truck before the shootings in the towns of Lee, Benedicta and Silver Ridge.

Five people were shot in all, according to police. The deceased victims have been identified as 58-year-old Kevin Tozier of Lee and Kyle Hewitt of Caribou.

In addition, 55-year-old Kim Irish of Benedicta, Carlton Eddy of Benedicta, and Clayton McCarthy of Mattawamkeag were wounded in the shootings. All three are being treated and are expected to survive. Kary Mayo of Silver Ridge Township also sustained injuries when Lord allegedly assaulted him in his home.

The kidnapping victim has been identified as 22-year-old Brittany Irish of Benedicta. She was with Lord in Houlton at the time of his arrest. Her mother, Kim, was wounded and her boyfriend, Hewitt, was killed in the shooting.

Police said the incident began on Thursday night with a call about a barn fire in Benedicta, the home of the woman Lord had with him when he was arrested. Lord then allegedly tied up and assaulted a man around 4 a.m. A shooting then occurred at Lord's brother's home, also located in Benedicta. Lord then left the scene with the woman and stole the logging truck.

Lord was spotted by police at 5 a.m., and fired at them as they gave chase. Police continued to pursue the vehicle but lost sight of it in Crystal. Thirty minutes later, there was a report that two men had been shot in Lee, one of whom died.

According to court documents, Lord pleaded guilty to a domestic violence assault against the mother of his child last February. His 6-month-old son Larry Earl Lord died on May 7. His mother found the child unresponsive at home. Police are still investigating and have not said if this is connected to the shootings.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us