Three people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide incident at a multi-family home in Manchester on Wednesday morning, according to Manchester Fire Department.
Firefighters said a resident called 911 to report the odor of heating oil coming from the basement of the two-and-a-half story duplex on Maple Street around 9:30 a.m.
When crews arrived, they found the presence of carbon monoxide at the front door.
U.S. & World
According to firefighters, they put self-contained breathing apparatus on and entered the home, where they found six people inside. Two other people had self-evacuated before firefighters arrived.
The people who were inside were immediately removed from the home and were evaluated by firefighters for medical symptoms, fire officials said. Three people were transported to local hospitals as a precaution due to pre-existing conditions. The other three were evaluated but were not transported.
Police originally said five people were taken to the hospital to be observed, but firefighters later changed the number of people transported to four and then to three.
A faulty furnace is believed to be responsible for high carbon monoxide conditions, police said.
Firefighters ventilated the home to remove the carbon monoxide and the owner of the home is making arrangements to repair the furnaces in both units of the home, firefighters said.
The six displaced tenants will have alternate housing provided by the homeowner if furnace repairs are delayed.
The house has been deemed uninhabitable until repairs can be made.