"The Baby Was Burned Up": Bath Water Scalds 10-Month-Old - NECN
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

"The Baby Was Burned Up": Bath Water Scalds 10-Month-Old

Bath Water Badly Burns Hartford Baby

A 10-month-old girl suffered burns to more than 80 percent of her body when she was scalded by hot water while taking a bath in Hartford on Sunday afternoon, according to police. (Published Monday, Dec. 1, 2014)

A baby girl from Connecticut suffered burns to 20 percent of her body when hot bath water scalded her Sunday afternoon, authorities said. 

Neighbors in the Asylum Hill neighborhood of  said a family friend was bathing the 10-month-old in the kitchen sink when something went very wrong.

"Next thing you know, he comes out screaming and hollering, and he wouldn't tell me what happened, so I came downstairs and the baby was burned up so I called 911," said Marie Simon, who lives upstairs.

First responders rushed the baby to Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford for treatment of first- and second-degree burns. Police were originally told more than 80 percent of the child's badly was burned, but that was not accurate. She's listed in stable condition, police said last week.

Simon, who was not present for the burn, said the caretaker told her he left the baby in the sink to grab a towel and came back to find her seriously hurt. But Simon, who often babysits the child, questioned that account. 

"The amount of burns on her, for her to be in the water, got to be a long time," Simon said.

No arrests have been made and police wouldn't say whether they expect to file charges.

"Obviously, it was presented as an accident from the onset. We would, as always, send in our detectives," said Deputy Chief Brian Foley. "We've identified everyone involved in the incident and the investigation is ongoing."

Authorities originally said the baby was transferred to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital but said later Monday she was still at Connecticut Children's.